We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Initially I was going to go to Beaches, even though it would be a stretch. In reading the posts, the name 'Starfish Trelawny" comes up frequently as a reasonable vacation spot. So my questions:

1. Is this a family frienly resort, similar to beaches?

2. Is it really that much more affordable after you add-on all the beaches offers?

3. Is there a good number of children there year round---but specifically August?

4. Should I fear August as the middle of hurricand season (it will be my first time to Jamaica)?

5. Any other all-inclusive resorts that are less expensive but packed with activities?

I appreciate all feedback.

montreal
reviews: 26
21. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Hi lara,

I've got to be honest with you, you'll be hard pressed to find a resort anywhere that doesn't get some horrible reviews, there's a myriad of reasons for them.

You will be extremely hard pressed to find a resort most anywhere in the Caribbean where you WON'T ever find a few large insects or you won't get a few ants if you leave food or drinks out overnight... It's the Tropics there are lots of insects and there is LOTS of moisture in the air so there's always more "dampness". If you really think you couldn't possibly stay somewhere and encounter perhaps a couple of the things you mentioned, I don't think you should go to Jamaica or perhaps anywhere in the Caribbean really.

However, the number of people who are "turned off" are few and far between amongst 100's of completely happy people.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Cherry Hill, New...
reviews: 7
22. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Jamaicasteve, does Starfish allow 3 kids and 2 adults in any of their rooms. We would love to go back to Jamaica this summer with our kids, however, we have 3 (2, 8 and 12) and keep running into a problem where we have to book two rooms instead of one. Do they allow this in their cottage rooms? And would I have to book directly with them as opposed to an agent online? Thanks so much in advance.

Downingtown...
reviews: 1
23. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

NJ: I think you should email them directly about this. You could stay in a cottage but it is only going to have bunk beds and a king so one of the kids would have to sleep with you or whatever.

I will just say that they have let it happen :)

NY
24. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

jamaicasteve - the more I read the more I see. It still boggles my mind how some can't wait to go back, and others describe the same place as hell. And it's not just the two mentioned in this thread. I'm reading about manyorts in Jamaica. So, now I just don't know where to visit. I just know I'd hate to go somehwere and be miserable and resentful the whole week. I must say the cruise we went on was fantastic--not one complaint (from me).

montreal
25. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Hi NJ.,

Gvien that your youngest is only 2, try going with "cottage for FOUR + and infant... and get a cottage with a crib. Perhaps your child is a bit "old" for a crib, but it'll solve the bed problem.

Or inquire about the "new" Presidential Suite... It's basically two cottages converted into one large one bedroom suite.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Cherry Hill, New...
reviews: 7
26. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Do I have to book directly through Starfish to get the "Presidential Suite"?

CAN
reviews: 25
27. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

lara, the bottom line is ....are all people the same? do they like the same things? is their taste the same? NO

For me ....I hate cruises.....does that make the cruise bad? No it just doesn't suit me.

So yes of course you will get different replies, positions and reviews. One love.

Downingtown...
reviews: 1
28. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

I think you will either have to call the resort to find out how to book it or call superclubs and talk to them. If you just type in how many people, they are going to tell you two rooms.

I was told the presidential suite was only having one bed.....I may be wrong here, but it wasn't given as an option to me.

As for who likes what resort and reviews...personally I think Beaches tends to get some of it's bad reviews because of its high cost, people expect so much when they go. My brother just went through that, he came back moaning about mosquitoes, small cups and so on but he is used to staying at a place like the Ritz so I just rolled my eyes. I'm used to camping so Starfish will be my Ritz no problem :)

I really think it comes down to expectations, in my opinion.

Don't worry so much and you'll be fine :)

montreal
29. Re: Jamaica - single mom with 6yr old - need an all-inclusive...

Well said Patti!

NJ, yes I think for now the PS is not yet available through wholesalers or tour operators, and you or your agent would have to book through Starfish or Superclubs directly.

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve