We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica or Dominic Republic

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 29
Jamaica or Dominic Republic

I'm deciding which of the two islands 2 visit. Anybody recommend one more than the other? Were under 23 years old and want to go the carribbean..Any suggestions??

CAN
reviews: 25
1. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

Hi, I have found them very different from each other.

DR you have a good chance of getting sick. The water (food, ice cubes etc) is not purified.

The language spoken in DR is not english (spanish) but might not be an issue for you because of where you live.

Not as pretty imho. No huge mountains and beaches.

Not as nice of beach - Negril in JA is much nicer.

More options for accommodations in JA...large resorts and small villas non a/i.

Jamaica is hotter (more south.

Jamaican people live in Jamaica....where you heal your soul. IRIE

Jacksonville...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

I am extremely biased but having visited both places, I'd go with Jamaica for the same reasons withrespect gave. Although, I don't care much for Montego Bay, I am a Negril gal all the way. Either way enjoy!!!!

Toronto Canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

I am going to jamaica for my first time in February but have been to the Dominican 2 times and loved it. I highly recommend Punta Cana over Puerto Plata. The beach was fabulous, resort was great, and people are nice. Punta Cana is also a lot cheaper than Negril. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Pam

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

thanks

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

From Los Angeles to Montego Bay the tickets are running about $358.00 non-stop...Wow that's a deal..I think I'm going to Jamaica for now...Maybe I'll try DR some other time.

thanks anyone else have more info.

CAN
reviews: 25
6. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

glyma, If you have not booked your accommodations please consider NEGRIL - 1.5 hours max from MoBay and it's entirely different.

I believe Negril has what most first timers expect...sugar white sand beach with turquoise waters. Tons of accommodation options. ENJOY.

NYS
reviews: 1
7. Re: Jamaica or Dominic Republic

If you're booking commercial airfare separately, I think you'll almost always get a better deal with Jamaica.

Usually I see awesome DR prices that involve charter flights and big AI resorts - can be tempting, although I'm not an AI fan.