We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackberry availability

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Blackberry availability

Can anyone from the States advise me on whether or not Blackberries will work in Montego Bay? If so, what service providers will support them, or is it all on roaming?

Charlotte, North...
1. Re: Blackberry availability

if you have a gsm carrier/service provider in the states, then it probably will work in mobay. you will very likely pay a roaming fee. check with your service provider in the states about details as you may be able to save money by changing your plan for a month and then changing it back on your return home (if you have that option).

on another note, please tell me that you will not be checking your work e-mail while in jamaica.

Kingston, Jamaica
reviews: 2
2. Re: Blackberry availability

Blackberry will work once you have roaming service. Blackberry provided by Digicel in Jamaica. www.digiceljamaica.com

Minneapolis
3. Re: Blackberry availability

My blackberry worked fine in Montego Bay. I have service through cingular.

4. Re: Blackberry availability

I use a BB 6710. Cingular is my host provider stateside. Use the "Network Scan" option under the Tools icon: Digicel and Cable & Wireless should be recognized. You can "Register" with either when the Network Scan is completed. In a few moments, you'll receive a confirmation email from the Digicel or C&W.

Digicel didn't permit internet access; C & W did. I maintained C&W service and was bale to get email, phone and internet without a hitch.

Retreiving voice mails is a little trickier in that you need to tap in your 10 digit phone number and when your recorded voice mail greeting answers, press the * key and then enter your normal password. You should be good to go then.

Sometimes I noticed that C&W service might disappear and I'd be defaulted to Digicel. Don't know why that happens. Usually, I'd wait a while and Re-scan for Network until I C&W was recognized.

Good Luck.