We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hip Strip?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
reviews: 12
Hip Strip?

What is this area? Is it as dangerous as I have read? The hotels (several I've looked at) are reasonable, is this why?

Jamaica, WI
1. Re: Hip Strip?

Where have u read that the Hip Strip is dangerous? This is one of the safest area in Montego Bay. It consists of clubs, hotels restaurants and hang out spots. It's a very cool place to relax/lyme/hang out......whatever.

Just check it out. I dont think you'll regret it.

Irie :)

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
reviews: 6
2. Re: Hip Strip?

Very nice reply Irie, most people must learn for themselves.

I had a ball on the stip. Simply because it is alive with all types of characters. The good. the bad and the ugly. But never a dull moment. If you show respect, if you are polite and like to make a joke about simple things, then you will have a ball and they will love you for it. Leave all attitudes at home. ENJOY!

Look at www.thewexford.com

Nice place to chill out at.

So. Wisconsin
reviews: 5
3. Re: Hip Strip?

IMO, the Hip Strip can be a little overwhelming for some at first, but it is definitely worth visiting. Common sense and respect goes a long way in JAmaica.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
4. Re: Hip Strip?

Thanks to all. I have read different sights, Frommers for one plus many others. We consider ourselves very polite and treat people with respect as one should do no matter where you are. I'm know we will have a blast. Just use plain ole common sense. This is my first trip and your answers have pretty much sealed it for me. I have pretty much decided to stay on the hip strip. Sounds like you wouldn't have to go far for a good time.

Again thank you for your responses. Blessings to all.

So. Wisconsin
reviews: 5
5. Re: Hip Strip?

I also highly recommend a day trip to Negril, the vibe there is very different than in MoBay. Spend a day just crusing the beach, we find it very relaxing and fun, and the sights along the road are great.

Jamaica, WI
6. Re: Hip Strip?

Ibefit:

Be sure to post your experience of safety and excitement for those who have heard likewise about the Hip Strip being dangerous.

Have an IRIE time! :)

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
7. Re: Hip Strip?

How far is Negril from Montego Bay and what's the best mode of transportation? I would love to move around and see wonderful Jamaica.

I'll be sure to post my experience especially on safety. I'm sure everything is going to be irie:) Very excited. May seems so far away!!!!!!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
8. Re: Hip Strip?

Hello ibefit,

The strip is full of hotels/clubs on either side of the road. Traffic noise during the day and disco noise at night. The hotel of my recomendation is a mere 60 feet further on the same road but worlds apart from the noises. Hard to explain until you have experienced it.

Negril is just over an hours drive. Taxi price can go up to 65$ official rate. What you actually pay will depend on you. Start asking at the hotel and try and get a group together. Many travelling salesmen go to Negril for the day. Link up with one is a posible solution. Same system can be used to get to other parts of the island. Everything will depend a lot on your ability to mingle into the society. Beside the hotel is a nice restaurante called The Pelican. All the local businessmen go for meetings, breakfast, lunch or dinners. Ideal place for making good contacts. These contacts will help you to get to see the real Jamaica from their perspective. ENJOY!

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
9. Re: Hip Strip?

Thanks Johnny,

I shouldn't have any trouble then!. That's great! Hey, I have been checking out the Wexford. How was your stay? Nice rooms, meals? How long were you there?

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
10. Re: Hip Strip?

Hello again ibefit,

Please remember that I am telling you about my experiences that suit me. You have to act and do things that you feel comfortable with. Your attitude and lively spirt tell me that you will get along just fine in JAM.

This lovely hotel has a very convenient location. Close to everywhere. The beaches, downtown and the night-club action strip.

The Hotel is set back from the main road, on a slight hill.

I enjoyed the panoramic views of the Montego Bay harbour with the mountains in the background and the blue Caribbean sea in front.

This inspiring view was from my bedroom or while dinning on the patio veranda. This is even more beautiful and romantic at night time.

The staff and service are polite and relatively fast.

For twelve days this hotel provided a perfect setting for me. I was constantly on the move and did not want to always be in the hotel.

Only had a delicious breakfast four times on that patio. All the other meals were off the property, at private homes or local places. Also my favourite, the box lunches.

Rooms are large with King bed and a balcony that you can spend a lot of time on.