We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling cards from your room

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 1
Calling cards from your room

Ok guys, hopefully this is my last question on this calling home bit. If i buy a calling card once i get to jamaica, does the hotel still charge me to use the phone in the room? If yes, is their any way around that? My sister was told that a friend of hers bought the card and just did not ask the operator to connect the call, she just followed the instructions on the card and didn't get any extra fee. True?????? Thanks guys

New Jersey
1. Re: Calling cards from your room

anyone who may know about this please help!

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 18
2. Re: Calling cards from your room

I would never use the phone in the room for any type of call. This can result in huge charges both published and hidden. Many hotels even apply huge charges to local calls. The best bet is to use it from a pay phone in the lobby or elsewhere. We stayed at the HI Sunspree and they have a phone you can use for free right beside the front desk in the lobby. The Jamican Cable & Wireless card is good because it is a local seven digit number that can be used from any phone. We paid $6US and it gave us about 20 mins talk time.

Rowlett, Texas
reviews: 12
3. Re: Calling cards from your room

RN35, I didn't call back home while I stayed in Mo Bay. But I've stayed in several hotels in the area and they ask for a deposit on the phone, local or abroad. I was at RDMB in May and they charged $20, SSB charged $20 and so does Toby's. They'll give you a refund for any un-used minutes. Some places in The Bahamas ask for a $100 deposit for phone usage.

Hope this helps.

Candy

Montego Bay Jamaica.
4. Re: Calling cards from your room

You will be charged a service fee to use the phone from the room. The local calling card (world talk) are best to use as most international cards does not work from Jamaica. The service charge fee varies depending on the hotel you will be staying at. If there is a pay phone around, us it, it wont cost you a thing. Most hotels are removing the pay phones from their hotel as phone calls are revenue. If your hotel has a concierge desk, most times they will make the call for you at no cost. If you will be making plenty calls, it best you rent a cell phone. Cell phones cost about US$5. per day and you buy call times.

One Love

www.funtoursjamaica.com

New Jersey
5. Re: Calling cards from your room

thanks everyone!