We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blue mountains from kingston day trip?

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
blue mountains from kingston day trip?

Hey everyone I was hoping for some insight. I am flying in to kingston for a few days at the end of the month/early june on business. I wanted to go check out the Blue Mountains since it seems the most interesting thing to do near or around Kingston. I am outdoorsy and love adventurous/scenic stuff. I am not sure my schedule but I am thinking I will definitely have an opportunity to get to the blue mountains for at least half a day. Can anyone recommend an itinerary for me. Can I just take a taxi on the fly? Should I go with a group? I am looking for half a day to check out the mountains and possibly a full day if im lucky. What is the main attraction of the blue mountains? is it hiking? is it seeing coffee plantations?

Thanks so much for any help and suggestions

Norwalk, Connecticut
reviews: 68
1. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

1/2 of a day is just ridiculous.

Go to the pool or go to the beach.

Traveling from Kingston to the mountains alone could be 1/2 of 1/2 a day depending or traffic and such.

Then if you arrive by taxi--in 1/2 a day --how will you be sure to get to the airport or where ever else your trying to get to in your 1/2 a day.....

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
2. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

OP will be in Kingston, so getting into the mountains can take as little as 45 minutes or as much as 2-3 hours depending where.

Some quick ideas if you don't have much time: Holywell National Park is not too far past Newcastle (maybe an hour from Kingston) and has hiking trails that are easy and harder. The drive up passes Strawberry Hill which would be a great stop for a cocktail or lunch, with a great view down to Kingston. blueandjohncrowmountains.org/sustainable-tou…

There are coffee plantations too but I think an entire day will be required to visit any of them. Mavis Bank is probably the most popular/accessible.

You can hire a driver to take you up and wait for you...with a time limit that's probably the best way to do it.

New York City, New...
3. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

From light reading I also read it was only about 30 minutes but I guess that didnt take traffic in to account. Ill definitely take that in to consideration. So from the comments I understand a hike is not possible for half a day or a full day at the mountains. Would there be another way to spend the day there to get a good feel for the place? I feel like since im in Kingston and totally not that far away, I should figure out a way to see the Blue Mountains.

Thanks!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
4. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

First of all, you'll see them for sure, they surround Kingston and are visible from everywhere in town :)

I think a half day hike at Holywell is very doable.

kingston
reviews: 2
5. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

From Kingston you can get to the Blue Mountains in 30-45 minutes.

There are 2 main options:

Hiking-best done overnight, go up in the cool evening, & come back early morning, while you enjoy the sunrise. You drive to a section, then hike to the top. Best if you join a group. It is scenery, flora & fauna. May flowers & birds are endemic to the Blue Mountain, e.g the Giant Swallowtail butterfly.

Drive: Take a drive to the Craighton coffee plantation, enjoy a short hike, listen to the story of coffee, tour the Great House, enjoy a cup of real Blue Mountain coffee, purchase some to take home, enjoy the scenery, there are several other options, such as Hollywell, New Castle, Eites Cafe, Strawberry Hill hotel.

If more help needed, send me an email.

Norwalk, Connecticut
reviews: 68
6. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

I am figuring half a day at 4 hours.

Even if they get to the hiking trail in 1 hour (including unload and stuff you have to do before leaving ).....this leaves three hours to go up ...get down...and get to a return vehicle to get off to the next destination...to me just not worth it...For four hours time --hang at the pool at your hotel for two hours ...take a shower and get into some fresh clothes for dinner.......

4 hours --just not enough---

Look here...

www.princevalleyguesthouse.com/index.html

Edited: 10:51 am, May 17, 2013
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
7. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

"4 hours --just not enough---"

" I am looking for half a day to check out the mountains"

I think the OP is asking about sightseeing and hiking IN the Blue Mountains, not hiking THE Blue Mountain peak. There are a lot of hiking trails that don't require any prep or gear but just let you see the beauty of the mountains and many are suitable for school groups and so on - especially at Hollywell - so are easy and can be as short as is wanted. And there are many trails that are much easier to reach than the start of the peak trail.

When I was in Kingston a few years ago I wanted to do exactly what the OP is asking. I went up for a half day and was back earlier than expected (rain...my hiking at Hollywell plans were aborted as i hadn't thought to bring a poncho or umbrella). My driver made stops at Strawberry Hill, Newcastle, then up a bit more, then we toured Mount Edge, then had lunch back in town. I think I left at 9:30 AM and was back before 1PM. Had I been able to do the hike at Hollywell that would have added just an hour, all I wanted was to hike around and check things out while i was staying in town for a few days.

So, OP - it can be done. Get a driver to take you up and stay with you/wait for you.

New York City, New...
8. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

Hi:

We are family of 5, planning to visit Blue Mountain from Kingston for 1 day. I have rental var. Can Hyundai Accent go up the mountain ? Or should I drive to mountain base and then take local 4WD taxI ? What is cost of taxi ride ? How far up the mountain should we go ? we do not want to hike. Which is best entrance to park from Kingston side ? Please help.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
9. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

If you don't want to hike, what do you want to do? Just sightsee?

10. Re: blue mountains from kingston day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 05, 2014