We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
beckenham, kent
reviews: 1
Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

I will be staying at the Sunset Jamaica Grande in July and want to spend a night at the Hilton hotel in Kingston as my son wants to go to Quads or Asylum night club. My son is 19 and is really keen . Does anyone know if its safe in that area and also is the hotel really good.

Kingston
reviews: 2
1. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

No it really isn't that good but it is OK. The pool area is quite nice but some of the rooms are tired and those that are not in the main building are noisy (you can hear people above and next door as they are wooden constructions). Alternatives are the Courtleigh whih is nextdoor and has nicer rooms but not as nice a pool area and the pegasus which is next door but one whose rooms are also a bit tired but again has a nice pool area. The area is realtively safe subject to the usual precautions. You can walk to quad or asylum from all of these hotels and there is a police post located on Knutsford Blvd close to both clubs. To be honest the hotels are pretty similar in quality, each has a slight advantage in one area or other but none is head and shoulders above the other. The hilton has a reasonable Japanese restaurant, coffee bar and gym by the way.

Kingston, Jamaica
2. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

I must disagree with Miyaad. Hylton is not great but its not bad either and is easily one of the best hotels in Kingston but it depends on the type of room you request etc. If you pay more you will get the best.You wont avoid the traffic noise because most of the hotels in New Kingston are close to the roadside. You have to ensure that you get a room at a higher level or not close to the roadside and you can avoid the noise. There is a great night club at the hotel called Jonkunoo Lounge -great Latin dancing on some nights. Quad and Assylum are literally a minutes walk away. The New Kingston area is generally safe and I don't expect that you will run in any difficulties. Of course you should take the necessary precautions as you would anywhere.

beckenham, kent
3. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

Hi Miyaad and Alimirage, Thank you very much for your advise. I was a bit worried about violence in the area around the Hilton hotel but you have put my mind at rest. One has to be careful in any city so that`s what I`ll be. Can you please tell me which is the best room to book, even if it`s costly, seeing it`s just for one night. I want to book before I leave England . Nearly forgot : What is it like on a Friday night at Quads, and is it expensive or a bit more up market than Asylum. Can`t wait to be in Jamaica.

Regards Lovableethel

London
reviews: 112
4. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

The rooms are the Hilton are tired and in need of renovation. The rooms at the Courtleigh are better.

However, the pool area at the Hotel is good and much better than the other "good" hotels in Kingston.

It is a short walk from the Hilton to the Quad and now that there is a new Police post on the corner it is safer. However, it is still not completely safe in the area and there are quite a few down and outs on the room between the hotel and the the night clubs

beckenham, kent
5. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

Hello Mbgandco,

Thank you very much for your advice, I am certainly thinking about the Courtleigh as they are all pretty close to the night clubs. I am a bit dissapointed about the hilton in Kingston as I expected it to be like the Hilton in Park Lane London which is definately 5 star and more. Have you stayed at both hotels, and if we decide to stay at the Hilton which rooms are the best as we will be partying until the early hours hopefully. Counting the days.

Respect, lovableethel

Kingston, Jamaica
6. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

No the Hylton New Kingston is not a 5 star but I think its great anyhow. Guess I am not as picky as some people. The cost for both nights clubs are around the same-$500 JA or about $8 US. Quad is way better as it has four different levels catering for different needs-reggae/hip hop crowd, jazz crowd and oldies etc. Fridays are the most happening nights so you will have a great time. If you decide to book Courtleigh it is just next door to the Hylton so the clubs are basically in the same vicinity. Courtleigh also has a small club called Mingles which caters mostly for the Latin dancing crowd. There is also kareoke?(not sure how this is spelt) on some nights.

7. Re: Is the hilton hotel great or just ok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 13, 2009