We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
reviews: 14
Safe

Is it Safe to take a day trip to Kingston and Port Royal?? I am staying in Runaway Bay but would like to travel around and see different places.

Thanks

Poole, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Safe

Heva34,

I went to Kingston for the day including Port Royal and really, really enjoyed it so I would recommend you do it.

I gave you the details for Winston Aarons our driver in a previous post (he is on the list of drivers) and he took us. We had a few places we wanted to see and spend a while at but Winston also drove us around so we got to see so much more. He recommended lunch at Glorias in Port Royal and we had the best fish meal I have had in a long while. We felt really very safe with Winston and thanks to him our day was better than we had hoped for.

I personally think it's a must do although it would not be for every one. Have a great time!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
2. Re: Safe

If you go with a driver who knows Kingston, I'd say absolutely safe. And well worth a day!

UK
reviews: 4
3. Re: Safe

Port Royal residents pride themselves on having the only crime free community on the island. Maybe something to do with the fact that it hosts a major naval base and a police academy! I wandered around happily and freely at night. Wouldn't say that you needed any kind of guide. The Fort area is fascinating and has a great staff team. Good views over Kingston and the Blue Mountains. Didn't eat at Gloria's but it certainly seemed to attract a happening and hopping crowd.....

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
4. Re: Safe

Gloria's is delicious. Not the fastest food, but well worth any wait and a pleasant spot that's always hopping too.

Leeds
reviews: 14
5. Re: Safe

Brilliant thanks, i am in communication with Winston at the moment regarding my other trip to Port Antonia so will discuss this with him also.

Iv heard the crime rate is very high in Kingston so was a little worried

Thanks so much for your help.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
6. Re: Safe

Yes, certain areas of Kingston are indeed plagued by crime, however with an experienced guide/driver you will not be entering those infamous neighborhoods.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
7. Re: Safe

^ exactly. You can tour New Kingston, see Bob Marley museum, Devon House, Port Royal, downtown, markets...whatever you want to see, and an experienced driver will be able to get you there and not get lost :)

Kingston is a very large city and has some very rough areas and some very nice areas and a lot in between.

8. Re: Safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 28, 2014