We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone girl in kingston

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 15
Alone girl in kingston

Heya everyone,

I'm in the progress of applying for civil engineering summer placements aboard part of university.

And I found a great placement in Jamaica but was worried about safety.

If I get the place I will be there 6 weeks alone working for a company.

Would you advise me to go there alone especially being a girl?

The last thing I want to do is apply for the place and get it and then back down. And in the process not allow someone else to take the opportunity,

I have travel experience but never been travelling alone and not so far too.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
1. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Is the company you are arranging to work for providing accommodation or are you arranging your own place to stay?

England
2. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Thanks for the reply.

I will be organising my own accommodation they will pay me enough to pay for it. I'm going there just for the industry experience so not expecting to make any money. Probably cost me more getting there actually.

Thanks

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 1
3. Re: Alone girl in kingston

I suggest that you ask the university for assistance to help find you suitable accommodations in a good area of the city that is close by.

Edited: 10:41 am, February 17, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
4. Re: Alone girl in kingston

I would say you should be fine if you can link up with a good, safe place to stay. There certainly are some neigbourhoods that should be avoided, especially in west Kingston but if you keep common sense with you you should make out OK.

Hopefully you can link up with some good people through your work that can be there to help you adjust to you time on the island.

kingston
5. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Accommodation may be available since it is during the summer, when the Universities students are on holidays.

Jamaica
6. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Kingston is great but it can be tricky , Choosing the right place to reside and the right people to hang around is of utmost importance , You will have the best time but you need to be around the right people , As a aspiring engineer ,it may suit you to make contact with the institute of Engineers in Jamaica and see if one of the members may be willing to provide room and board for you .They live pretty well and are responsible the link for their website is http://www.jiejamaica.org/ hope this helps

Norwalk, Connecticut
reviews: 68
7. Re: Alone girl in kingston

I travel solo all the time....and I think you'll be fine as long as you follow the above rules.

However-- I'd also like to mention another place to look for rooms is Airbnb !

https://www.airbnb.com/

I've found that one of the most important things is to have somewhere for your home base where you are known and information about you is known. In this way --If something did happen--you got hurt or lost or whatever --you will always have a place to call or have a place that will be looking for your return.

I discovered a very nice place to stay called KERRYS KINGSTON SUITES ! Perfect for a single lady. Private room , private bath. Check it out on Airbnb.com.

Here you will be safe, yet still be able to move around in freedom---yet knowing someone has your back. You can also arrange for pick up from the airport and excursions thru her KNOWN contacts.

There are other nice locations in Kingston as well on the site.

I have always found that it makes for a better and more pleasant trip for me when I have a great home base with some sort of connections when I roam alone. I will be staying here on my next visit as I also plan on visiting Kingston for several days.I will be comfortable , safe and have a person to contact for whatever information I may need. I still have other friends around---but no matter what --I will always have a place to get to whenever I need it.

Check her place out !

Bodega, California
reviews: 2
8. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Traveling and living/working somewhere for six weeks is very different, especially in a large city like Kingston.

Your first inquiries should go to the company hiring you. I'm sure they are tuned into good safe housing and can guide you regarding transportation and the general runnings in the city. I'd hit them up first before even browsing on AirBnb. AirBnb works well for people who are familiar with a city's layout and neighborhoods but if not you'll need guidance in that way. Beverly Hills is a popular and wonderful neighborhood in Kingston but will it "fit" with your daily commute to work? Will the prices for rentals there fit your budget? So definitely talk to the recruiter who is hiring you in depth about living in Kingston before venturing on the internet on your own.

England
9. Re: Alone girl in kingston

Heya guys,

Thanks for all your recommendations. My application wasn't successful at the end so I guess I wont be going there any time soon.

Decided to go to South Asia for 2.5 months now.

Thanks again

10. Re: Alone girl in kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 11, 2014