We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Do you recommend driving around Kingston? What is the best way to do sight-seeing in Kingston? Are there secure parking for the Bob Marley Museum, Devon House, National Art Gallery, and Port Royal?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
1. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

not sure about the art gallery, but the others all have designated parking areas... not sure how "secure" they'd be, better than parking on the street i'd suppose...we've never had issues parking at Devon House or over around Port Royal...

Driving around kingston is challenging and a bit chaotic... not for everyone.. keep your windows up or valuables on the floor in traffic (theres stories of people on foot/bicycle that try to grab things from your hands/laps if they can)... other than that it's just having a lot of patience and a good sense of humor (you can see some really interesting stuff in a drive through town :) )

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 49
2. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Traffic is a bit nuts but as Chelle says, patience and good humor go a long way. Getting lost is easy and it's possible you'd get lost in an area you don't want to be in...have you driven in JA before, or been to Kingston before?

I am a fan of renting a car and driving but I only take taxis or ride with friends in Kingston, I just don't know the roads very well.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
3. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Ah yes, agreed Liz... If you don't know the city it's best to have a driver.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Thank you for the great advice! How is it like driving around Ocho Rios and Montego Bay?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 49
5. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

Easier than Kingston. In both areas, the main highway runs along the sea, more or less, and it's clear when you have the sea behind you that you are going inland (and that always means UP, into hills)., sea on left means you are going east, etc. Still some crazy driving but almost all shopping, restaurants and hotels have secure parking and you can't get TOO lost.

kingston
6. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

There is a paid parking lot to the side of the National Gallery. Just pass the door & head towards the left side of the building.

Please stick to your route, identify the one ways, if you make a wrong turn stop, & get your bearings.Give me a call & I will direct you if you wish.

All parking areas noted are secure, except Port Royal, where there is no form of crime.

7. Re: Secure Parking? Driving the Best Way to Sight-See Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, January 06, 2014