We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recording studios in kingston

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
recording studios in kingston

i want to know if there is some information somewhere about different legendary recording studios of kingston and if some can be visited, like DYNAMICS or STUDIO ONE, or CHANNEL ONE

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
1. Re: recording studios in kingston

I think they are starting to rebuild CHANNEL ONE,they have some project going on about it, you can ask Natty Fred, he is a guide for musical tours in Kingston, his mail is: natty.fred@yahoo.com

Jamaica
2. Re: recording studios in kingston

Be careful who you contact for musical tours. I am in the Jamaican music industry and I have never heard of Natty Fred (not to say he is not legit, just that I have never heard of him or any musical tour). Entrance to the studios pretty much depends on your persuasiveness at the gate. Obviously if session are in progress people don't want to be interrupted but...if any of the studios are empty chances are that you can have a look. As far as I know it is Studio One that i s being rebuilt. Channel One hasn't been in use for years and no one ever talks about Dynamics anymore although the building is still there I am sure (Channel One as well). Tuff Gong is in operation as is Harry J's. These days Anchor and Mixing Lab are the main studios people use.

Kingston, Jamaica
reviews: 23
3. Re: recording studios in kingston

contact Karen at Jamaica Cultural Enterprises for a tour of accessible studios:

http://www.jaculture.com/

Jamaica
4. Re: recording studios in kingston

What are the "accessible studios"? Just curious.

Kingston, Jamaica
5. Re: recording studios in kingston

Ones that the public can gain access to!

Jamaica
6. Re: recording studios in kingston

What specific ones - don't know any that "the public can gain access to". Have never been in a studio and seen "the public" come through.

Kingston, Jamaica
7. Re: recording studios in kingston

AnimalHouse: If you're interested in going in studios, contact Karen - she knows the Kingston studios well and regularly takes visitors on studio tours. It probably depends on the particular time and day as to which can be visited. She's doing a studios tour on 20th December if that helps you

Edited: 6:14 pm, December 04, 2012
London, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: recording studios in kingston

I did several tours with Karen back in April. We went to Tuff Gong and one other studio - can't remember the name. As JAsodier says, if you get in touch with Karen, she will make all the necessary arrangements for you.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
9. Re: recording studios in kingston

I was in a studio for a half hour or so last time I was in Kingston. Kind of a convoluted circumstance but a friend was having a party and her roommate wanted to hire a guy she'd heard made really good soup, he had recently done a friend's party. I went along with her and a mutual friend to meet the soup guy and get some supplies for the party.

We met soup guy at a fast food restaurant and then drove over to Freddie McGregor's house to retrieve a large soup pot which he had left there....we hung out there for an hour or so with what i suppose you might call his entourage.

Next stop was a recording studio where soup guy who was also a singer (of course!!) had done some backup singing of some kind, he wanted to talk to a Japanese guy who was going ot hire him for something else. We were allowed to walk in there (with him) and hang out for a half hour or so, met a few folks who were waiting to record or done recording or whatever. On the way out we ran into Etana. My friend hugged her...kind of embarrassing :)

Somewhere in there that afternoon we went to an outdoor market near Halfway Tree and bought most of the ingredients for the soup.

The next day was the party...soup guy made a good soup, and the party was a success...just another 24 hours in in Kingston?

:)

Edited: 10:51 pm, December 04, 2012
Rehoboth Beach...
reviews: 6
10. Re: recording studios in kingston

@Ohliz.....Seinfeld In Jamaica

Edited: 6:50 am, December 05, 2012