We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Jamaica to visit?

Edmonton
What part of Jamaica to visit?

Hello all!

My husband and I (late 30's) are planning on a trip to J next March. We have previously been to PV, Cuba 2x, DR, and this year the Mayan. We stayed at the Iberostar Lindo in the Mayan and were extremly pleased. We want to take some friends who have never been anywhere warm to Jamaica so we want it to be a perfect trip. As cost is a bit of a factor, where would you suggest we get the best value for our money? M Bay, Negril, Och R...?

We're looking for a med-large resort, activities, good sized beach and swimming pool, at a good quality resort.

Any suggestions on city, and perhaps resort? (not into Hedo) My research is just beginning :):):)

Coco

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
1. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

Each area has its fans 9and there are more that you haven't listed that have larger AI resorts too).

MoBay - shortest ride form airport, nice water/beaches but smaller and can vary from resort to resort.

Negril - just an hour or a bit more from airport, best beaches, more laid back.

Ochi - lusher, beaches vary and are smaller, near some neat offsite activities.

You might also consider Falmouth, Runaway bay.

Areas I like for non-AI vacations, should you choose to go that way, include Negril, Portland and Treasure Beach.

Jackson, Michigan
reviews: 14
2. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

Trewlawny Starfish is a midsize AI that offers quite inexpensive package deals in comparison to some other AI's. This is a family oriented resort though so if kids bug you then maybe not the best choice. It has a nice beach and a couple of pools. Its in between Ochi and Mo Bay near the town of Falmouth.

Connecticut
reviews: 3
3. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

I stayed the Iberostar too a few years ago. Very nice resort. We went to Ocho Rios earlier this year and stayed at the sunset jamaica grande. We had a great time but I would say that the Iberostar was tops in customer service and entertainment compared to Jamaica Grande. The food was also seemed to be a little more varied at the Iberostar. These are just small things to me but worth mentioning.

The pluses to the jamaica grande was the cost, the location in town and the activities.. We did a hi lite tour and river tubing. The vibe is very relaxed and people are friendly in Ocho Rios

Prior to my last trip I did some research and shopping was very important to us as well as cost so that's why we picked Ocho Rios. The only down side was that the trip in from the airport was long but is sorta interesting.

In two weeks we are gong to Montego bay to experience another part of the island and because we enjoyed Ja so much last time. We picked Royal Decameron Montego bay based on cost and the mostly good reviews it got on here. The quick ride in from the airport is a plus I must say. We may take a day trip to Negril to check it out. Although we like the beach it isn't tops for us, but it seems negril is supposed to have the best beaches on the island.

It seems to me that Ocho Rios seemed to be the cheapest of the three cities but also some good deals are found at Runaway Bay and other areas between Mo bay and Ocho Rios. It depends how close to the cities you want to be in.

miami,florida
reviews: 5
4. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

do u know anything about the sunset beach resort? have they finished the water park? is it quiet?

Cherry Hill, NJ
reviews: 9
5. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

SSB's water park is open. Depending on when you go there are more kids than other times. Holidays and summer are the busier times for kids.

Enjoy!

6. Re: What part of Jamaica to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 23, 2009