We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

Hi hopeyou can help!

Can you give me an idea how far, and long it will take to go from Bloody Bay in Negril to Dolphin Cove?

The people at Dolphin Cove have given me a round trip price of $230 which I guess is just the transport rather than the swim aswell, Ive emailed back to confirm and am waiting on a response.

We would like to swim with the dolphins while we are there and I wanted to be there early (judging what the reviews say) I know its a fair old way from Negril but dont have any idea actually how long it would take by car/bus/taxi - but I do have an idea it will take a while!!

Also the Bike Tour looks excellent - I see it picks up in either Ocho or Kingston then its a 2 1/2 drive to the point they drop you off at - how long will it take us to get to the nearest pick up point?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Kind regards to all :D x

montreal
reviews: 26
1. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

Greetings to you,

I think that price "might" actually be for the Swim AND the transportation... Did they say whether that is a per person price? The Full Swim program is about $155US per person and $75US sounds fairly appropriate for the Transportation...

As for travel time, you are right that you should try to be there early. I'm not sure how early they will pick you up, but you probably should try and leave Negril by 6:00am...

The drive from Bloody Bay to the Dolphin Cove is about 3-1/2 hours at least so it will be a little long... I think you are looking at at least that long as well to get to the Bike Tour...

Blessings and respect to you,

Steve

2. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

hi jamaicasteve,

thanks for prompt reply, much appreciated.

Ive emailed back and am waiting on a reply re pricing per person etc ... will post the answer when i get it.

I am now wondering whether to combine an overnight stay with the trip, the night before for instance? We are in Negril for 3 weeks so had hoped to get about a bit and this could be a good start..

Where would you recommend in the nearby area to Dolphin Cove to stay, nothing posh (!) or expensive but safe, clean, with private bathroom and either on the beach or with pool for a one nighter?

We can make a good two day trip of it then, maybe taking a driver with us?

I have been reading your posts re your pending trip taking supplies and send you and your fellow travellers our best wishes and good luck with the trip. Is there anything specifically from the UK we can bring with us when we go, Im starting a small collection of toiletries for the hotel staff but we are rather restricted with luggage allowances? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Louise

3. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

hi jamaicasteve,

thanks for prompt reply, much appreciated.

Ive emailed back and am waiting on a reply re pricing per person etc ... will post the answer when i get it.

I am now wondering whether to combine an overnight stay with the trip, the night before for instance? We are in Negril for 3 weeks so had hoped to get about a bit and this could be a good start..

Where would you recommend in the nearby area to Dolphin Cove to stay, nothing posh (!) or expensive but safe, clean, with private bathroom and either on the beach or with pool for a one nighter?

We can make a good two day trip of it then, maybe taking a driver with us?

I have been reading your posts re your pending trip taking supplies and send you and your fellow travellers our best wishes and good luck with the trip. Is there anything specifically from the UK we can bring with us when we go, Im starting a small collection of toiletries for the hotel staff but we are rather restricted with luggage allowances? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Louise

4. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

oopps ...

maryland
5. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

I'm just going to step on my soap box for a minute, but please research the captive dolphin displays before patronizing them. The profit made from capturing the dolphins supports grisly dolphin kills. It is a cruel endeavor generally. Just google "dolphin captivity" and do some reading. My teenage daughter begged to go there until I had her read a little on the whole process - she has no interest now. There are great places in jamaica to see wildlife - in the wild - alligators, manatees and dolphins. Take a look at this website - http://www.barrettadventures.com - Carolyn Bennett comes very highly recommended and can tailor a trip for you. Another tour guide that may be more convenient to Negril is solomon Kerr - http://www.geocities.com/talkofthetowntours/- have also read great things about him.

6. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

cartera,

thanks for your thoughts, I have done a bit of research but will do more before booking...from what i have read it seems a responsible kind of place to visit, any other views on it would be appreciated.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
7. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

I wouldn't swim with the dolphins at Dolphin Cove when there are wild dolphins to be seen right on the south coast. We've done the trip by boat from Treasure Beach to Black RIver twice and both times they've come to us, swimming under and around our boat for aobut a half hour. No guarantee as they're wild but that's the whole point...they come to you because they want to play, not because they were caught and taken from their families and still living and still hungry do play with tourists for food.

Also, I know more than one person who did the swim and came away very depressed by what she experienced.

I know yet naother person whose ankle was broken by a dolphin that flipped it's fin to get get fed too quickly, she spent her vacation with a cast and crutches and absolutely no support, money or anything from Dolphin Cove, as they make all guests sign a waiver, they are not responsible if you get hurt, and people DO get hurt at captive dolphin swims.

I wouldn't personally risk my vacation and I'd have a hard time supporting the captive swims.

Here's reading if you like:

hsus.org/marine_mammals/…

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
8. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

PS: The bike tour, on the other hand, looks incredible. It starts near Buff Bay, about an hour past Ocho Rios. You ride DOWNHILL and stop at a beautiful waterfall near the end (we've done the falls, not the ride). Incredibele scenery, very different from Negril.

If I were doing that I'd spend a night (or two, better) in Portland, say at Fern Hill ($79 standard/$99 suite) and do the bike tour, Blue Lagoon, some of the Portland beaches like Long Bay, Boston Bay (for jerk too), Winnifred Beach, Frenchmans, San-San....maybe raft the Rio Grande or do some cave/waterfall hiking around Nonsuch Caves, or see if you can visit Reich or Somerset Falls.

9. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

ohliz,

think im going to go with the bike ride then instead of the swim, we are planning to spend time at treasure beach so will make sure we take the boat ride to try and see dolphins in the natural habitat.

Do you know if we would meet up the bike tour in Ocho and any idea of taxi cost to get to the area - Im off to look up portland in my travel guides now!!

Thanks for your help x

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
10. Re: JamaicaSteve can you help - Bloody Bay to Dolphin Cove...

You should be able to get from Negril to Ocho Rios for about $40pp in a taxi.

I believe the bike tour picks up from hotels in Ochi, you can contact them to see the best way to meet up. I know they take you up the mountain by bus/van and feed you breakfast and/or lunch as part of their package.

Re: Treasure Beach, I wrote trip reports on both of ourvisits there, and the whole dolphin/croc/boat days we did:

www.alink.com/personal/liz/negril - we did the boat trips in March 2003 and March 2004 (we did it twice because we didn't have our kids the first time and we had to let them see.....it was incredible how close the dolphins came to us, my kids could literally reach out and touch them, they were RIGHT at our boat). I do know someone that went recently and did not see any dolphins, but I also know Sienna and Sala of Talk of the Town are seeing them about 90% of the time they do this trip from TB to Black River so there's a good chance.

I will say the ride along the coast is exhilarating (especially if you like to go fast), and the Black River cruise in a small boat rather than a pontoon is fantastic - you can go way further up the river than the big boats can, to where you can swim and get a snack and do a rope swing into the water, and you can get stuffed crab at Sister Lou's and also stop at Pelican Bar, a bar out on a sandbar in the sea that only boats - and not the pontoons - can go to.

There are a couple of Portland trip reports there as well, March 2003 and October 2004....and photos of all that too.