We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Which Cap-Haitien hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

We are planning to go to Dominican Republic in January and are trying to find out how we can make a side excursion to see the Citadel in Haiti. We would prefer to go from the north coast of DR, such as Puerto Plata or Santiago, but if Santo Domingo is the only way, we can do that. Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

North Dakota
reviews: 15
11. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

KiwiFirey

The bus goes up Hwy #1 to Monte Cristi. It misses Puerto Plata by quite some distance. Hwy # 1 turns left at Navarette and goes west. There is a junction just south of Navarette where Hwy # 5 begins and heads northeast to Puerto Plata. Seems like it is around 30-40 miles from the junction to Puerto Plata. I've taken this route several times but don't remember the exact distance.

San Francisco de...
12. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

En la terminal de Caribe Tours en Santiago puede tomar otro autobus hacia Puerto Plata; el trayecto es de una hora. Autobus similar al que viaja a Cabo Haitiano.

USA
13. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Which days of the week does the Caribe Tours bus go to Cap-Haitian?

And which days of the week does the Caribe Tours bus return to the Dominican Republic?

Thank you very much

Brian

Madrid
14. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

I have read that the bus from Cap Haitien to Santiago are Wednesday and Saturday. But I don't know from Santiago to Cap.

Do you know if it's possible to visit Cap? Is it safe or dangerous?

And is it possible to visit Souvenance and the Voodoo Festival?

Thank you.

Kingston Ontario
reviews: 17
15. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Hi there

My daughter and I spent a week at the Mount Joli there last Febuary (2009) Delivering school supplies and working at one of the rural schools outside of Cap with no problems Nick ( owner of the hotel) was the most excellent host.

We wandered thru the city down to the tourist market at the docks spent some time walking the streets and in the park with no problems at all.

I have been in contact with friends there since the earthquake and there was no damage at all by their report.

Beautiful country and even more beautiful people, worth the trip to be sure.

we are heading back in January of 2011 for another week. Can't wait.

Santo Domingo
reviews: 3
16. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

I am going to travel to CH and Citadel end of oct/beginning of nov...somebody want to join? :)

does anybody have e-mail addres of mont joli hotel?

Edited: 5:38 pm, September 18, 2010
Kingston Ontario
reviews: 17
17. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

enjoy you should have a great time

you can try

Hôtel Mont Joli, Rue 29 B, ☎ +011 509 262-0326 / +011 509 262-0300.

I can also reccomend bernard as a good driver ( I belive he is still available through the hotel for booking, he was our driver out to Grison Garde and back every day very friendly and knowlagable and I believe he grew up near the citidel . We are hoping to visit the citidel on our next trip in January.

Minnesota
18. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Phone numbers in Haiti have an extra digit before the typical 7 digit number - try adding a '2' (for land lines, '3' is for cell phones) if you have problems with the above numbers.

North Dakota
reviews: 15
19. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Yes, "Bernie' grew up in Milot. He was also our driver and guide when we went to the Citadel and other sites around Cap Haitian. I recommend him highly, and yes he can be contacted through the Hotel Mont Joli.

Santo Domingo
reviews: 3
20. Re: Citadel in Haiti from Dominican Republic

Thank everybody for the precious information... but.. no way to get e-mail address?

Now, I am living in Santo Domingo..any info about this side of the island I will be glad to answer.. :)

Edited: 4:06 pm, September 21, 2010