We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

island windjammer cruise

Which St. George's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
island windjammer cruise

Any reviews or general comments appreciated. We are a Canadian seniors who love adventure. My wife is fully able while I walk with a cane but swim and snorkle with no problems.

Is this really an amazing cruise?

59 replies to this topic
Crozet, VA
reviews: 3
1. Re: island windjammer cruise

Island Windjammers Diamant is a 101' 2 masted sloop with 6 passenger cabins for 12; has a crew of 6 (Captain, Engineer, Chef, Steward, Bosum and Deckhand/carpenter.) The cabins are climate controlled with a separate shower, and are quit comfortable. There is ample deck space and a nice salon. The launch is a zodiac with narrow steps leading down to it and a railing on only one side. The crew is very good about helping passengers into the launch but if you have mobility problems it might not be doable. Also, Diamant really sails and sometimes you do need your hands to hold on when you move around.

The food is excellent and plentiful; beer, sodas, wine, rum punch and water are included but if you want hard liquor, you can bring it on board. The crew is great and really want you have a wonderful trip. It's like you are on your own private yacht. Some people have been concerned about only 12 passengers but you make new friends very fast. There is ample space if you want to be by yourself. We have sailed her 3 times and will be returning in Oct. and next May.

To read some trip reports go to: Island Windjammers page on facebook; there is also a lot of info and pictures on www.islandwindjammers.com .

Again, not sure about your mobility. Just remember she is a sailboat!!!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 35
2. Re: island windjammer cruise

Thanks for posting information about the Island Windjammer cruises. I'm hoping to take one next September (lobster season!).

What did you do at night? Was it mostly couples? Did you have any interaction with the locals?

I'll now go and read the reviews on their website.

Crozet, VA
3. Re: island windjammer cruise

Some nights we were on board; some nights we are on an island for dinner,drinks, etc. During lobster season on Bequia go to dinner at Mac's for lobster pizza as it is the best!!! On Mayreau do the "cultural tour" in the evening better known as the pub crawl.

It's usually a good mix. Last year when we sailed there were two couples and the rest singles. When we go in two weeks, I think there are only two couples. Even with such a small group (12) everyone seems to really blend well. You'll make best friends in no time. We are sailing this Oct.with a woman we met sailing last year plus several friends from previous sails.

You can definitely have interaction with locals when you are on the islands. The locals are al very friendly and speak to you when you pass. It's easy to start up a conversation. And of course in the local bars, conversation is no problem.

Also checkout island windjammers on facebook.

Edited: 3:26 pm, September 27, 2011
St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
4. Re: island windjammer cruise

Thanks, Sandra! Sounds good.

Bonita Springs
reviews: 7
5. Re: island windjammer cruise

I'm going on the Nov. 6th Island Windjammers Cruise. Anyone else going on that date? Really looking forward to it.

Does anyone know how the cell phone coverage is? Does the boat have wifi internet? I'm a blogger so those things are good to have but I can definitely live without them as well.

Thanks!

Crozet, VA
6. Re: island windjammer cruise

Just returned from a fantastic sail on Island Windjammer’s Diamant. The 101 foot double masted brigantine schooner’s home port is Port Louis, Grenada.

We boarded ship Sunday evening and set sail early Monday morning on our way to Carriacou and Chatham Bay, Union Island. During the week we sailed to Bequia, Mayreau, Tobago Cays and Sandy Island. There was plenty of beach time for rum, sun and fun!!! The crew was phenomenal – felt like we were on a private yacht! The food and drink delicious and plentiful. The cabins are climate controlled and quite comfortable. There is plenty of comfortable deck space for lounging while under sail. We returned to port on Friday evening for Captain’s Dinner. Saturday was a sad day as we disembarked Diamant and said goodbye to new and old friends!

Had such a great time, we are sailing again in May for two weeks!!!

Diamant does not have wifi internet but you can find internet cafe's on most of the islands. Cell phone coverage depends on your carrier, and if you have international coverage.

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
7. Re: island windjammer cruise

Was there any good snorkeling?

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
reviews: 7
8. Re: island windjammer cruise

Do you have to fly to Grenada to board the ship? I've wanted to do a windjammer cruise for some time now. Although I do worry about hurricane season. I'm going to look into it a little closer.

Crozet, VA
9. Re: island windjammer cruise

The snorkeling is ok. Not much coral but lots of different fish. There are several stops on the itinerary for snorkeling.

You board Diamant in Grenada. Check the American Airlines website as they are currently running a special if you fly before March.

Not to really worry about hurricane season as Grenada is below the hurricane belt. But it can happen. You may get a rain shower but it doesn't last long. Be on the safe side and take trip insurance.

Royal Oak, MI
reviews: 9
10. Re: island windjammer cruise

Grenada is below the hurricane belt. So no worries. This is the best cruise style I have gone on. No big foo-foo ship where you feel stuck on board while a thousand peopl are trampling over you. This cruise is well worth every penny. You can be barefoot all the time, and feel right at home. Hey, if you want, you can even pilot the ship for a while. No worries. But if you are older or have a certain handicap, the stairs to the cabins down below may be an obstacle for you.

Love the crew and the food is awesome. We caught a tuna the day before embarking and Boston cooked it for us...he is wonderful.

Mo

Reply to: island windjammer cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. George's