We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Question

Florida
reviews: 6
Currency Question

My family will be staying in a private villa and shopping across the Samana peninsula during our visit for groceries, restaurant meals, gas, excursions, etc. Is it correct that U.S. dollars are broadly accepted? I plan to withdraw some amount of pesos from an ATM as I believe the tollroad from Santo Domingo only accepts pesos and gas stations prefer pesos, but otherwise will just bring cash from home.

Thanks for any guidance.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
1. Re: Currency Question

No, you will need and want to have Pesos. The USD is taken around resorts but once you get out and about the Peso is what you want to have. Tolls and most but not all gas stations do not take USD's. Often when you find someone who will take your USD you'll get a bad rate. I change a few hundred bucks at SDQ and/or hit the Banco Popular ATM (10,000 RD per withdrawl up to your bank's limit) just outside customs for Pesos on arrival. Be sure to tell your bank where you are going so they don't do a security hold.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
2. Re: Currency Question

Another thought for you. If you are going to drive, don't do it at night, very dark and dangerous. Also, take out the "full" insurance for your protection.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 89
3. Re: Currency Question

If you have a Band of America debit card you can use the ATMs here associated with Scotia bank for no facility fee only the 3% transaction fee and the exchange is at a very good rate.

BObK

Florida
reviews: 6
4. Re: Currency Question

Very good - thanks so much for your responses. Will plan to withdraw/exchange some dollars into pesos on arrival and I understand there are ATMs in Samana to restock pesos as needed.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 89
5. Re: Currency Question

Have a great trip

BObK

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
6. Re: Currency Question

At the ATM you'll likely get 500 or 1000 Peso notes. A good idea to buy something (beer, Slice of Pizza, etc.) to change the note. Toll collectors don't have a lot of change.

7. Re: Currency Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, March 22, 2015