We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the gym at GBCL

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 91
the gym at GBCL

just started to use a cross trainer. is there a gym and does anyone know what is in it.

england
reviews: 61
1. Re: the gym at GBCL

Out last visit May last year and at that time there was a small gym at Cayo however, it is unsupervised and in my mind base level - the equipment is not used very much so you will pretty much have the place to yourselves in all the time that we had been to Cayo we have never seen anyone use the facilities.

The room is air conditioned but there are no shower facilities within the building which is located next to the tennis courts.

It may have been upgraded since that time, recent reviewers however do not appear to have been impressed.

Stoke-on-Trent...
2. Re: the gym at GBCL

thanks, we never go the gym but do like walking, just woried how i can work off the food so my clothes fit in the second week:)

i gather there are no long strolls on the beach. i will miss that.

england
reviews: 61
3. Re: the gym at GBCL

This is a small island when you check out the pics you will see some taken from the top of the elevator which shows both of the private beaches that is pretty much showing you the whole bottom right corner of the island. When you check out the location map you will see where the villas are located and the roads around the island as the villas as four villas on the ground floor and four on the first floor that will give you a scale of the island. ie to get from the east side villa 8 to the west side you pass 12 villas and the Dom Pablo restaurant however because the island is not flat the walks around the island are interesting and I am sure that you will find plenty of ways to work off those calories...

Bedford
reviews: 50
4. Re: the gym at GBCL

Yes VHT, I agree, you do get a fair amount of exercise just walking around as the island is quite hilly. BR2, maybe you should make a resolution never to use the elevator to get to and from the beach, and never, (unlike some of us lazy types) hop on a passing buggy. You will lose plenty of calories just by keeping to that rule. But I bet you won't be able to resist the lure of the elevator, at least to ascend.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
5. Re: the gym at GBCL

Taking the stairs instead of the elevator was a little difficult because each step was a different height.

Bedford
6. Re: the gym at GBCL

You are so right TF, we went down a few times having taken a wrong turning and missed the elevator, and the steps were really tricky as each one was slightly different. Never actually attempted to climb up!

Stoke-on-Trent...
7. Re: the gym at GBCL

maybe i could just work off the pounds in feburary LOL.

i wonder if there is a lap of the island and how long that walk would be. i could do that eachday......... maybe........ well once or twice.............if im not busy reading my book, sat on a lounger, soaking up the sun, swimming in the pool, playing in the elevator, waiting for room service to deliver my breakfast.

well... the good intention was there!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
8. Re: the gym at GBCL

MissFitts -- we climbed UP the stairs a few times and it was a lot trickier than climbing down because of the difference in height of each step! Very tiring too; it seemed like they would never end - LOL. I was out of breath each time and finally told my hubby that I would only walk DOWN them and take the elevator UP!

bankrupt2 -- there is a walking route around the whole resort, where you would pass by all of the villas. We regret not doing that walk. We never did see all of the villas. I think each day we ended up at the pool and/or beach and just never thought to go for a long walk and see the whole island. If we went back again, I would certainly do that.

Bedford
9. Re: the gym at GBCL

BR2, we had some very good advice from VHT, which was to take a buggy ride right round the island early on our first day. You start to understand the layout, and orientate yourself. The buggies come by regularly, or you can ring for one, though we never needed to, and they stop and let you hop on wherever you are.

You can run round the island on the same route . MrF did this first thing most mornings and it took him 10-12 minutes, though others (younger ones!) probably took about 8. There is a marked jogging route but I think it is more or less the same as the main circuit.

shropshire
reviews: 10
10. Re: the gym at GBCL

I take my trainers every year with good intentions of going to gym but they never make it out of suitcase!

Now walking round the island sounds good (particularly if we might pass a bar on the way!)