We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 2
Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

Family members have asked us to bring these items home for them. Where is the best place to buy these things? Are there particular brand names to look out for and what would they cost approximately? Thanks!

NJ
1. Re: Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

From my previous trip to Puerto Plata: market prices for rum did not vary from airport prices and Brugal Factory store (all were the same).

It looks like vanilla is cheap (I bought one clear and one dark) and not as good quality as Mexican. Perhaps I bought imitation? But it does not say on the package. Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

Cigars are everywhere, I did not buy any, but we were told that stores were more reliable than street vendors.

Hope this helps.

Stony Plain, Alberta
2. Re: Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

Tradition, you're staying at the Bahia Principe right?

Anyways, I just got back from my second trip there (amazing, again!!) and you can buy all those things on the resort (lobby shop) and in the Pueblo Principe.

There is even a cigar shop in the Pueblo with quite a selection (there is also cigars in the lobby shop). You could also go to Don Lucas Cigars, Domenico (I think it's fairly close....just of heard of it anyways) or you can go to Vivaldi's (cigar museum, and you can purchase cigars there as well as see how they're made etc.)

With any of the above cigar places there is free transportation to and from these places so if you're gonna buy some cigars it's worthwhile to go (you don't HAVE to buy anything once you're there but I couldn't do that.....you get free transportation there and not buy anything or go without intending on buying anything....I'm sure there are people out there who do that and it's just sad....my opinion).

The coffee I buy says Santo Domingo and I get it from the lobby shop and it's really good!! I bought cocoa and vanilla from the lobby shop....don't know what they're like so I can't say for sure.

We met a couple there this time whose parents were staying at the Riu at the same time and I guess the rum at the Bahia is WAY cheaper than at the Riu because she was hauling rum over to the Riu for her parents to take home with them. Just a tidbit of useless information for ya.

Also, you can buy rum at the airport but it's cheaper to buy it on the resort I'm sure so don't wait and just buy it at the airport cause it's quite a bit more expensive at the airport.

Montreal, Quebec
reviews: 2
3. Re: Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

Great! I can't wait to get there and go shopping!!!! Well, after I go to the beach, have a couple of drinks......

4. Re: Vanilla, coffee, rum and cigars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 27, 2009