We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 34
Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

We will be going to PC for the first time in February and trying to decide which resort. Hear good things about Sunscape but it is further from the airport. I know this Riu Palace PC is new but MANY reviews say the rooms have a strong moldy/musty odor! We are only going for 4 nights so we'll just be relaxing at the resort/no excursions. We would like some shade around the pool and on the beach. We are "foodies" but realize that in PC the food is not spectacular. Still, we'd like to stay where the food isn't too bad. Not particularly interested in the entertainment/shows. No kids w/us this trip :) The Rui would be about $200 more. I read great reviews of the Paradisus Palma Real but I think that is even more $$. What do you think? Also, anyone have any experience w/Apple Vacations? Thanks!

Pittsburgh
reviews: 22
1. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

STB is a very nice resort, run by AMresorts which is my preferred management company of all the resorts I have been to. No wristbands, no reservations, private location, great management. Food is just OK to good depending on you what you like at any all-inclusive. STB is as good or better than any in their price range. I love eating and I find that I enjoy their meals. Sometimes different that what expected but fun food.

Go with an open mind. I have had great meals and I have had meals that were bland, If so I go somewhere to eat later. Wine is drinkable but you can order nice wine for about $30 a bottle if you wish. Apple is a very good and reliable company, don't hesitate to choose them. USA3000 is a very nice airline. Read my reviews and my e-mail is in them. If you have questions I have been to many other all-inclusives so I can compare them if you like. I will be at STB for my 3rd time in Jan. A nice and trouble free vacation. Great beach at STB but a little wavier than Bavaro but I think nicer.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 34
2. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

bbgamer: Thanks for the info! I will be emailing you w/some questions, I'm sure. I'm unclear about the dining reservations since I thought I remember you have to make them in the a.m. at STB?? Very relieved to hear Apple is reputable and USA3000 is good. We've never been to an all-inclusive before so we're looking forward to a new experience!

Ontario, Ohio
reviews: 7
3. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

FrannyK,

We toured STB on Friday. We were amazed at how beautiful the resort is. The pool is beautiful and very nicely landscaped. There is an adults only restaurant there. What amazed us was that there were many kids, but you did not feel like they took over the resort. The organized activities keep them very busy and make it nice for all adults, not just the parents.

Shelly

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
4. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

FrannyK, you don't have to make dinner reservations in the morning or any other time. None of the Sunscape properties take reservations for dinner.

Kaki

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 4
5. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

Frank another place to get some sunscape info is their website.

www.sunscaperesorts.com

once you get there you can pick Sunscape The Beach and under the category "play" all the way at the bottom you will find a place where you can find a wealth of information.

I was there in August and have a ton of pics and information if you would like it. Loved the No Reservations and no Wristband feature of Sunscape.

Hope this is helpful,

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

baltobabe@comcast.net

Kingston
reviews: 15
6. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

I have an other question. Is there an Internet cafe? If so, is it included or is it extra?

Once again, Thank you!

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 4
7. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

STB does have an internet cafe and it is a nominal charge but they also have wirless that is FREE in the lobby! When I was there in August that is what I used and it was awesome!

all the best,

bb/mt

markham
reviews: 6
8. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

Hi Frannyk , i see that you have a choice , well our experience was this ,we stayed at the STB apr/05 foood at the buffet was mediocre the al a cartes were good ,the beach was average(and they call it the beach) lots of coral and brown sand, and in nov/06 we stayed at the Riu palace macao(the same as the the palace punta cana but smaller and older) absolutely fantastic , buffets superb ( can you handle a beautiful filet mignon and caviar) the al a cartes fantastic had a a ribeye cooked to perfection and some of the nicest seafood we have seen.and for the beach ,one of the best in the world...we are a bit biased ...lol

Pittsburgh
reviews: 22
9. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

The beach in front of STB has coral, to the side it is smooth. The sand is a very light brown which stays very soft to walk on. STB has blue water but a little wavy in front of the resort, calm to the side. The beach is unlike Bavaro beach in that it has more privacy and you can walk for a long time in either direction and just see sand and blue water. Depends on what you like. As far as food, everyone has a different preferrence. Plus I love a very large pool like at STB.

Taylorville...
reviews: 82
10. Re: Sunscape the Beach or Riu Palace Punta Cana

Hi, We went to the Suncsape thru Apple last Sept for 7 days. It was a very nice vacation. I liked not having to have a reservation at the resturants, just go whenever you were ready. It is a large resort, a lot of walking. They have a very nice, large pool & the service is excellent. I will go back sometime. Marilyn