We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Deals???

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sault Ste Marie...
Last Minute Deals???

Just wondering, how many people book last minute? I usually book early, do you find it better to book early and take the discounts offered then or wait until a week or so before and take the last minute deal. We are considering doing this next year but I am a little worried that we won't get as nice of a resort.

Dallas, TX
1. Re: Last Minute Deals???

The last minute deals can be great, but the issue for me is I must plan in advance my time off from work. They don't work for me because of that reason. The deals are for the same resorts you can book farther in advance. Just less selection. If you are going to book for a specific time period, I recommend just booking it in advance.

nate

CT
2. Re: Last Minute Deals???

Book through Apple Vacations ahead of time.. they're so cheap it it shouldn't matter... I don't know if I'd do it a year in advance though.. wait til like 2-3 months before, just so you can read the reviews in case a place turns bad, or suddenly becomes known as a resort where everyone gets sick.

Also, depends what time of year you want to go - high season, last minute would be more of an issue, say than in the middle of July.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Last Minute Deals???

After what I seen this AM, there are not going to be many seat sales.

Prices went up this AM! The operators are going to take advantage of the SunWing/Jetsgo tragity!

Best of luck!

Timmins, Canada
reviews: 11
4. Re: Last Minute Deals???

I have booked last minute and taken advantage of early bird bookings.. It usually works out to be around the same (some years you save other years you don't.

This year I had been watching a certain place for the best price (scouting for next years vacation) Well if I had of been going this year and playing the waiting game for a better price I would of been S.O.L.

No rooms available... unreal, because last year you could get in right up till the day before.

If your heart is set on a certain resort, I would say take advantage of early booking discounts,

If you are open to anywhere any place... keep checking until you get a good deal. because you can get some really good cheapo prices.

Kat

Halifax, Nova Scotia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Last Minute Deals???

Yes Kat,

I hear you. Being a Jr. TA ( I help out on their busy times)

It certianly not a good year for that game. Especially since Sunwing /Jetsgo the blame on Jetsgo for pulling their stunt last week. Rates have gone up from 800 to 11-1200 today & they call that last minutes this year!

Best of luck to anyone playing that game. You'll be waiting till the week of before you'll see any great deals!

Ontario
reviews: 5
6. Re: Last Minute Deals???

Hi,

We always book only a couple of weeks ahead, but pick 4 different resorts on 4 different islands, that you think might work. If you have your heart set on one hotel and island this might not work. We allways travel over christmas and it's high price time but there is allways somewhere on sale. This year we ended up at LTI Punta Cana in the Cayena section for $700.00 per person off the book price, and found the bargain was better than we hoped.

I would definitley give it a try. Does make you happy to think you saved $$$compared to the folks in the next chair.

Good luck.

Nova Scotia
reviews: 15
7. Re: Last Minute Deals???

Not many deals this year due to the Tsunami disaster. Remember that the areas hit hardest were resort areas. The Europeans that normally go there are now filling the other resorts around the world. Especially carribean. Most places are booked up for the season.

Chicago
8. Re: Last Minute Deals???

I always book in advance thru apple vacations and buy the AVOK Insurance. This includes what is called a "Price guarantee". It allows you to get refunded the difference between the original price you paid and a lower price offered prior to departure.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
reviews: 2
9. Re: Last Minute Deals???

Halifax, Nova Scotia
reviews: 2
10. Re: Last Minute Deals???

I think it depends if you are willing to lose a resort you really want. Call a couple places, check Internet sites and get the best rate then book your vacation. If you wait too long you will not get what you want then be really disappointed because you may have paid more or paid too much for a resort that is lacking.

My husband and I got very lucky this year. We booked two weeks ago for Bahia Principe from Halifax on Canjet with Sunquest Holidays for only $874 per person (plus taxes). We event got the Hacienda club upgrade. We wanted the resort, and happened to purchase during a one-day only sale. The price two weeks later is $1365 per person (plus tax).

I think as long as the price is in the range you are looking for, and you really like the resort go for it. Playing the waiting game can cost you.