We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 5
double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

So here we are.. we booked our trip to bahia. My mother myself best friend and her mother. We planned on getting my mom a replacement passport since shes moved and has lost it in the midst. Now she cannot find her birth certificate. Is it really as easy as requesting a birth certificate online. It says it takes thirty days. We plan on doing this then expediting her passport. Trip is June 11th!! Help!!

10 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
1. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

My mom was born in puerto rico if that matters

UpstateNY
reviews: 4
2. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Contact the city she was born in. Here in NY you can go through the state department or go directly to the city you were born in. I'm not sure about Puerto Rico but I assume it would be a similar process. Then pay for a rush on the passport. You should have it in plenty of time. Good luck.

Oakmont...
reviews: 34
3. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

I believe they have a passport office right in Philly so go in person might speed up the process if you go in person instead of the post office.

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
4. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Birth Certificate copy normally comes from your state. You can go to your state bureau of vital statistics and get same day (wherever that may be - normally in the capital city). Or order it which I guess it depends on the state... probably 3-4 weeks but never know.

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
5. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Yea so if she was born in Puerto rico ... short of going there you have to request it. Better expedite that too.

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
6. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Puerto Rico instituted a new birth certificate law in 2010. Here is a link to the new administrative process you will need to follow to obtain a replacement. Once you receive it, you will be able to apply for that passport.

http://prfaa.pr.gov/birthcertificatesnd2.asp

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 14
7. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

Get a copy of her Birth Certificate as soon as possible, don't wait as it could take a couple of weeks to get a copy, then go to your nearest Post Office that handles passports, and tell them you want to expedite the processing of her lost passport. To expedite it is will cost you $60. more, and You will have her new passport within 3 weeks. I just processed mine because of water damage, and after processing, and also a new photo that will need to be taken at the Post Office that is a passport facility, it cost me $190.00. $20. for the new photo, $60. for expediting the process, and $90.00 for the new passport. Hope this helps you some, Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 14
8. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

If it takes 30 days from now to get her Birth Certificate, that will bring You to May 1th, and if you expedite the passport, You will have it within 3 weeks, that brings You to about May May 23 rd., so she should be safe for the June 11th trip, suggest You start the business at hand right away, yes it will be a little expensive but better safe then sorry, and her not being able to travel out of the U.S. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Philadelphia...
9. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

We started the process!! Thanks everyone.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
10. Re: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate

As you have a Passport office in Phil. you can get a passport as quick as a day or two if you pay the extra fee. So once you have the birth certificate head over to the Passport Office asap.

Reply to: double whammy.. lost passport and no birth certificate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted