We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing meat to Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
Bringing meat to Punta Cana

I'll be coming to PC next week with my wife for our honeymoon and due to religious restrictions we are forced to bring our own food whenever we go on vacation.

We are planning on bringing salami, chicken, and steak.

Are there any restrictions as to what you can bring into DR - specifically food-wise? I know in some countries you can't bring meat in.

Thank you so much!!

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

I'm sure you will get some answers from the good folk on here........I however will just give you the advice to get the information on this question from the official DR website concerning the country's allowances for arrivals into Dominican Republic.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 89
2. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

Officially NO, but usually not a problem if packed in your carry on (meats). Canned goods, packaged goods in your checked luggage should be ok

BObK

Punta Cana...
3. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

the only kind of allowed foodies are processes foodies.

zero allowance on meats/seafood and such.

in case you visit a hotel/resort, then i would anyways make sure in the first place if they are willing to cook any food you will bring yourself, as many resorts/hotels do not do so, they do not allow any raw foods to be brought to their kittchen, as a preventive safety measurement to assure that no kinda bacterias or such enter the reort's food chain/food preparing processes. in addition to that AI resort kittchens, running on very tied working shedules to get food for several thousand guests per day prepared, would not very likely be willing to cook extras out of their given tied shedule.

so check with the resort first, before booking a specific hotel/resort.

to be sure about Import regulations for raw food, check the official website of the DR Customs or contact the DR consulate near your home to get the accurate valid info.

happy travels

Mike

atlanta
reviews: 36
4. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

I hate to sound rude but would it not have been better to ask this before you booked? Because most countries will not allow the import of raw meat. Do you have a plan b?

Sag Harbor, New York
reviews: 12
5. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

WOW! You sure waited till the last minute for this one. Still, have you tried calling the resort? They may be able to try and accommodate you if you tell them the restrictions. As Mike said, it is unlikely you will be permitted to bring your own food so you will either break your dietary restrictions, figure out a way to work with what the resort can do, or have to cancel your trip and rebook someplace that can accommodate you completely.

Not trying to be a nay sayer but that is how I am seeing it. I do hope that you can salvage this and you came to the right spot to get some advice. What resort are you staying at?

Warwick, Rhode...
reviews: 81
6. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

It appears they are staying at Bahia Principe Esmeralda.

Sag Harbor, New York
reviews: 12
7. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

@barb111-hmmmm not something I know much about. I have some dietary restrictions (medical) and the Excellence was great about helping me work through their various menus and kept me healthy. I am staying at the Ambar and was in communication with a lovely lady who said they try to do basically the same thing as Excellence and that a week before I go, to give her an email to remind her of my issues and she would do her very best to help me.

They are nice folks at the Bahia and I hope they can help the OP.

Warwick, Rhode...
8. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

It may be they need to eat kosher. Doubt they have a kosher kitchen... I agree they should have asked sooner.

9. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, November 18, 2013
Warwick, Rhode...
10. Re: Bringing meat to Punta Cana

If they could pull it off, that would be good. Hate to have a honeymoon ruined. Just threw the kosher thing out there. Maybe something else. Still, I would have planned long ago.