We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline/layover city?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Which airline/layover city?

Living my whole life on the west coast ( not counting japan and hawaii) the farthest east I have ever been is Michigan..

In planning our PC vacation, we are trying to decide on which airlines and airports we will have to change planes in.. American thru Miami, United thru Newark, Copa thru Panama City or US thru Charolette.. any advice?

6 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Which airline/layover city?

As for airports, avoid Newark at all costs!!! Charlotte is a good pick. I know nothing of Panama City and Miami is neutral.

I fly United frequently and have never had a problem. Can you connect on United through somewhere other than Newark? One recent flight on American was good...layover in Dallas and home to Pittsburgh, all on time.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 38
2. Re: Which airline/layover city?

US Airways through Charlotte is the best opinion....

NJ
reviews: 17
3. Re: Which airline/layover city?

schedule and price would make my decision. you want to get to punta cana as early in the day as possible! remember that once you land you still won't get to your reesort and the beach or poolfor some time (immigration etc, travel to resort and checking in!) I have never done a layover in newark,- i start from there, it seems no different than any other. I have used charlotte and miami both were fine, i just tend to stay in the gate area and read so my opinion and experience only go so far. It's more about the destination afterall!

Princeton Jct., NJ
reviews: 14
4. Re: Which airline/layover city?

I would make such a decision based upon price and convenience. You do not want too quick a connection time and you do not want too long of one. I've always flown direct from either Newark or Phila, but I have checked out flights with connections in Miami, Charlotte, and Panama City. Panama City has always required an overnight when I was looking at it and I would strongly suggest you NOT take this option if you have not done much traveling.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
5. Re: Which airline/layover city?

I've connected in all of them. They all have pluses and minuses. Let the time, convenience and price be your guide as desiwood suggests. I did like the Panama option, great service and cool little airport but the flying time is increased for us from D.C. by an hour or so.

Best bet is to follow time and price.

Nahville, TN
reviews: 6
6. Re: Which airline/layover city?

I go by price and connection time. Charlotte is the best connection but US Air has been higher than American lately so we have been connecting through Miami. If you do Miami allow plenty of time as it can be a long walk gate to gate.

Reply to: Which airline/layover city?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted