We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Trying to plan a vacation with the wife for this early July and I need to book very soon….

We have been to both Maui (6 years ago) and Kauai (last year) and loved it. Haven’t tried the Big Island yet as I’m not sure if it will be anything like what I experienced in both Maui and Kauai. Is it worth it or should go back to one of the two islands? Not really into Oahu in the Waikiki area as it’s too touristy for me.

Another option is Punta Cana (looking into NOW Lumiare resort) as the wife is leaning towards to going somewhere different than Hawaii. Anybody been out that area as well?

What’s even better is if someone has been to both destinations and can give me some good advice. We are into beaches, doing several excursions, good food and all that stuff. I must say that we did plenty of top excursions when went to both Maui and Kauai. If indeed going back to Hawaii, I would probably pick Maui since we were just at Kauai last year.

This will probably be our last big vacation before we start having kids, so I know I won’t be going back to Hawaii for a long time once we have a kid. We are from Missouri by the way.

**I posted this on both Hawaii and Punta Cana fourms**

17 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 10
11. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Punta Cana is great for beach lovers, but if you want to spend a lot of time on excursions, and the expensive airfare and cost of living is no deterrent, then go to Big Island Hawaii. I spent two months there and still didn't see it all, but darn near! :-)

St. Louis, MO
12. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Wow - Hawaii by a landside huh?!?! This input is great as I'm trying to convince my wife to go back there even though she wanted to try something new. But, this could be the last time we go back there for a long time. Not sure if I want to go back to either Kauai or Maui (probably Maui since I was just at Kauai last year) or give the Big Island a try for the whole week.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
13. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

My advice is go for the Big Island. You won't be disappointed. :-)

Kansas City...
reviews: 4
14. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

..........without a doubt, Hawaii!! Maui and Kauai have the best beaches but I would go to the Big Island just because you haven't been. We stayed on the Big Island for two weeks and never got bored. The Big Island is much different than the other two islands. Go before you have children....you know how long the flights are from Missouri and in the future, it could be a challenge with toddlers.

I would also vote for the Kona area. Love it!

Edited: 11:22 am, May 01, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
15. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

If you could manage it, I would suggest breaking up your week with a couple nights stay on the Hilo side and the rest of your time on the Kona side.

Burlington
reviews: 4
16. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

For what it's worth, we did a 7-day cruise the first week which was a fantastic way to see three islands (Maui, Big Island and Kauai) and then spent a week on Oahu. It was a great way to sample a bit of each island, and then do a more extensive tour of Oahu. Yes there is quite a touristy feel to the Waikiki area, but I wouldn't miss it - or the other wonderful parts of Oahu. I'm so jealous!!!!

Winnipeg
reviews: 3
17. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I have to give another vote for Hawaii. I have been to Kauai 4 times, Oahu 3 times and Maui once. My fav is Kauai, then Maui. We did Punta Cana for the first time last month. It was beautiful, and fun but I much prefer to have a car and explore the island. If I had a choice of the 3 you are suggesting, I would pick Big Island, no questions!

Reply to: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted