We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Trying to plan a vacation with the wife for this early July and I need to book very soon….

We have been to both Maui (6 years ago) and Kauai (last year) and loved it. Haven’t tried the Big Island yet as I’m not sure if it will be anything like what I experienced in both Maui and Kauai. Is it worth it or should go back to one of the two islands? Not really into Oahu in the Waikiki area as it’s too touristy for me.

Another option is Punta Cana (looking into NOW Lumiare resort) as the wife is leaning towards to going somewhere different than Hawaii. Anybody been out that area as well?

What’s even better is if someone has been to both destinations and can give me some good advice. We are into beaches, doing several excursions, good food and all that stuff. I must say that we did plenty of top excursions when went to both Maui and Kauai. If indeed going back to Hawaii, I would probably pick Maui since we were just at Kauai last year.

This will probably be our last big vacation before we start having kids, so I know I won’t be going back to Hawaii for a long time once we have a kid. We are from Missouri by the way.

**I posted this on both Hawaii and Punta Cana fourms**

17 replies to this topic
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 38
1. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Now Larimar......

I personally would go back to Hawaii, there is so much too see on the Big Island.

Hawaii Island isn’t just big, it’s still growing. The Island of Hawaii is the youngest island in the Hawaiian chain and is also by far the biggest, providing a vast canvas of environments to discover a variety of unrivaled natural wonders. This is the home of one of the world’s most active volcanoes (Kilauea), the tallest sea mountain in the world at more than 33,000 feet (Maunakea), the most massive mountain in the world (Maunaloa) and the largest park in the state (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park). All but two of the world’s climate zones generate everything from lush rain forests to volcanic deserts, snow-capped mountaintops to beautiful black sand beaches. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a journey off the beaten path, you’ll discover it all on Hawaii, the Big Island.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
2. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Not sure how to answer you. I spent 3 months in Hawaii in 2008. Travelled to every island. IMO, go see the Big Island. It's amazing. Lots to see there including the main attraction, the volcanos. The reason I'm suggesting doing this now is most activities aren't geared to children, young ones anyway. Go while just the two of you.

Punta Cana is awesome. It has great beaches and will be a good place to bring the kids. I highly recommend PC as a family destination.

phoenix
reviews: 1
3. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I've been to Maui once and to Punta Cana three times. I prefer Punta Cana. I could be biased though because I lived in the Dominican Republic for a few years. I prefer the beaches of Punta Cana, the people of Punta Cana and also the affordability of Punta Cana. There are many excursions to do in Punta Cana and the best part is that it's all-inclusive vs Maui which costs you a ton eating out every day.

N. Atlanta
reviews: 35
4. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I love both places but if it were me, as a last hoorah before babies, I'd return to Hawaii. Then, when you have kids, take them to Punta Cana. We love PC and go every year, but it's very resort based. There's excursions but in my opinion they don't really compare to Hawaii.

We've been to Maui and Oahu, would love to see the Big Island and Kauai someday!

poozieny
reviews: 11
5. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

OMG I wouldn't even think twice..... Hawaii.

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 6
6. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Hands-down, return to Hawaii! Punta Cana, as well as the NOW Larimar resort, will pale in-comparison to what you've experienced!

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 23
7. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I really don't think you can compare the two. They really are very different.

Given the choice, budget not an issue, I would choose Hawaii.

As others have said, Punta Cana later when Hawaii is out of the question.

Burlington
reviews: 4
8. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

Absolutely go to Hawaii...Punta Cana is beautiful, but as others have said - Hawaii is a dream destination and if you can afford to go - do it before starting your family. I would personally stay in the Kona area as I think the Hilo side is rainier, but you can very easily travel the island making Kona your home base. I was so impressed with the variety of landscape - you name; they've got it. Rainforests, waterfalls, volcanoes, beaches...you will love it. Punta Cana will be a great family vacation destination when the time comes.

Indianapolis, IN
reviews: 27
9. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I agree with the others - go to Hawaii. We've been to Maui twice and the Big Island most recently. For us, a vacation to Hawaii is all about exploring the island and seeing as much as possible. We go to PC when we want to relax and not have to worry about the little things. We split our stay on the Big Island and spent several nights in Volcano hiking around Kilauea and checking out Hilo. Then we spent the rest of the week near Kona and seeing the west side of the island.

Austin, Texas
10. Re: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??

I will throw a kink in the works here---- if you haven't been, think about the British Virgin Islands since ou have experienced Hawaii. You will not be disappointed and will leave a piece of your heart there when you leave. U.S. Virgin Islands are awesome, too. Then, as everyone has said, come to Punta Cana when you travel with kids!!!!

Reply to: Punta Cana or Maui/Kauai or Big Island??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted