We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gifts and tips

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
gifts and tips

What little gifts can I bring for the staff-along with a tip. I was told if we did not give a gift (instead of cash) we would not have any cool towel decorations because we gave cash. This seems to be true because we gave cash last year and got no decorations.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52,599 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: gifts and tips

"I was told if we did not give a gift (instead of cash) we would not have any cool towel decorations because we gave cash"

Nonsense as far as I am concerned

"This seems to be true because we gave cash last year and got no decorations"

We have found over the years that not all the maids do towel art

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
15,292 posts
108 reviews
2. Re: gifts and tips

The staff will much prefer $$$$$. They can buy what ever they want as long as they have the $$ to do so. As I have stated before our housekeeper who worked for a major hotel for a couple of years will never use all the lotions and potions she has received while working at the hotel. She also has shelves and closets full of nick/knacks.

I have never hear of not getting towel servic/decorations held back because of only getting cash. That is hogwash. As flipflop says not all staff can do the towel art.

BObK

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: gifts and tips

I don't bring gifts, and I often get the towel art. But of all the things on a vacation, towel art matters the least to me. If I didn't get it, I wouldn't notice.

Mark

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: gifts and tips

C.R.E.A.M. = cash rules every thing around me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: gifts and tips

great response from a fellow Boston res

new jersey
Level Contributor
788 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: gifts and tips

i have a bridge for sale as well........... ;)

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: gifts and tips

If you want to bring gifts how about something for school children. Most resorts have a school that the guests can visit...the public relations desk will advise. Many times I have brought school supplies and they are very welcome. Of course a dailt tip in dollars is much appreciated ...it is better to err by being too generous than not.

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: gifts and tips

We tipped US dollars cash...had flowers placed in bathroom, and chocolates every night....most importantly our room was immaculate.

9. Re: gifts and tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014