We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help us out. We are currently planning our annual vacation and these 2 hotels are top of our list.

If we choose Excellence, it's 400$ more (for 2 weeks, 2 persons) than CRB. Is it worth it?

How does those 2 resorts compare?

Is there smoking room at Excellence? Or you can just use the balcony outside?

Just a bit more about us... We are both 32, not into partying at all, love good food and like some quiet and relaxation. We are perfectly happy just staying on the beach all day reading a good book. Our travel style varies quite a lot depending on how we feel, from backpacking to AI.

Deal we found is through Cheap Carribean. Never use them before, are they ok?

Thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 9
1. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

I haven't been to either of these resorts but the biggest differences in what I've read is that the Catalonia is one of the closest to the airports (probably about 15 minutes) whereas the Excellence is about an hour away. As well, the ocean at the Cat is flat/calm versus very wavy /rough surf at the Excellence.

They both seem to have their pro's and con's from what I've read. Hopefully someone who has been to both resorts will give you some feedback that will help you make your decision!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

As said these resorts are opposite ends of the area known as Punta Cana. I only know Catalonia Royal. It's a lovely small adult only property with a zen like atmosphere. It's located on a white sand beach with shallow calm waters. There is snorkelling from shore available along with kayaking and hobie cats. Tons of shade on the beach, both palapas and natural palm shade. There are 2 pools. One with swim up bar and another quiet infinity pool beside the beach. Chair service for drinks at pools and beach. There are smoking and non smoking buildings.

A big difference between these resorts is Catalonia Royal is an adult section beside a larger family resort. You have access to all the amenities there which is where there are additional restaurants and the majority of entertainment options. Excellence is a total stand alone adult property.

Iowa
3. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Would also love to hear opinions-especially with regards to food and alcohol quality and overall service. Thought we'd decided on Excellence for sure, but like the location of Catalonia

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Hi Elmara,

We went to both and we loved them both. First I would say both are very good values.

Main différences are the beach, food and distance from the airport.

CRB have a very calm beach. No wave and shallow water. EPC have a very wavy beach wich is very funny if you like waves! At EPC you can take very long walk on the beach. EPC have a much wider front on the beach.

Food is very personnal but for us EPC have a better quality and better taste. We really enjoyed food at EPC.

CRB is less than 15 minutes from airport EPC is about 1 hour. If you choose EPC take a cab at the airport, it's the best way to do the run.

Finally I'd say if you have 400$ to invest, do it by resrving EPC you won't regret it.

Just an idea, why you don't go 1 week at CRB and 1 week at EPC!

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

EPC is worth the extra money.

Pete

Montreal
6. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all your input, appreciate it. We decided to go ahead and book the EPC based on a few points and I actually missed playing in the waves so I intend to enjoy it fully when we are there! We do not mind the longer transfer time, we are use to long bus ride in tropical country. One hour in a private transfer is nothing compare to that 4-5 hours "guagua" ride I took in DR a few years ago haha

Also, CRB is usually affordable when we go on vacation while Excellence isn't, so we couldn't pass this offer.

We will report when we get back! Thank you!

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
7. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Good choice - enjoy

8. Re: Excellence Punta Cana vs Catalonia Royal Bavaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 03, 2014