We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Tipping

Leaving tomorrow and staying at Majestic Colonial. How much do you tip the Butler, bartenders, housekeeping and those that take your luggage? Are there any other people I forgot to mention? Do you pay butler, housekeeper, bartender one amountdaily and then at the end of your stay give them something more substantial? How much? Exactly what are the butler's responsibilities?

Thanks so much

Boston...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Tipping

Oh no! Here we go again.

Boston...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Tipping

Seriously though, tip whomever you want however much you choose to. There is no right or wrong.

Boston...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Tipping

It's only human nature to deiver better customer service to those who tip. I tip the bartenders/beach butlers heavy at the start of each vacation. I tend to get my drinks a little faster and stronger than the ones near me after that. The room service and maids I tip daily. If I can afford a few thousand on a vacation sitting on my butt for a week then I can afford to give a little extar each day to the satff that is making my stay enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Nahville, TN
reviews: 7
4. Re: Tipping

Here is my normal tiping pattern at Majestic Elegance

Butler $10.00 at start of trip and more a the end if he did a good job

Maid $3.00 every day on pillow

Bar stocker $1.00 a day in ref.

bars $1.00 every other round of drinks

Alacarts $3.00 - $5.00

Buffet $2.00

Guy that cleans the beach $1.00 when he picks up around me

Bell man $2.00 per bag to and from

I have to take a cart a lot to the front so a $1.00 each way for the bell man

Toronto,ON
reviews: 4
5. Re: Tipping

Be careful how much you tip the butler at the beginning of the trip. Our friends who travelled with us and my husband tipped our butler well the first day and he never appeared the rest of the trip.

Only tip for service received and earned.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 14
6. Re: Tipping

Tipping to get good service is a myth.....

There is absolutely no way anyone would know if the person next to you got a weaker drink; unless you had a swig of their drink when they weren't looking...... lololol

We budget $15/day, as follows:

$3 for maid

$2 for breakfast

$2 for lunch

$2 for supper

$1 for mini fridge

$5 for drinks throughout the day

And that covers for 2 people.

Happy travels.

Hartford...
reviews: 115
7. Re: Tipping

We pretty much did exactly the same as Sailman at the ME.

We did give a few bigger tips to our favorite employees the day before we left.

We never felt like we were required to tip. But we had such great service, we were happy to give a little extra. Its personal preference, so tip or not, its up to you.

Our butler clearly stated that he treats everyone the same regardless of getting a tip, and in his case, I believe him. Awesome guy.

But to answer your other question, the butler usually checks in on you here and there to make sure everything is going well. They often leave small edible gifts in your room. Ours saw me drinking wine with dinner one night and had wine put in the room for us everynight after that. I've heard that some will make reservations for you, but we didnt ask ours. Keep in mind the butlers are assigned 20-30 rooms, so they are not always available. But they generally leave you their direct phone number.

They set up your hot tub at night for you as well, if you request it.

Edited: 2:22 pm, March 28, 2013
Lufkin, Texas
reviews: 2
8. Re: Tipping

Thanks Sailman. That gives me a good starting place. I can adjust it to suit our service. I appreciate your help.

canada
reviews: 14
9. Re: Tipping

greg, we tip 2-3 dollars a day for housekeeper,, not leaving it to the end as it could be her day off! we tip 1 dollar in fridge daily,,, five bux goes in my insulated cup in the morning when our fav pool waitress at our fav resort (desiree at the Ambar) grabs my cup for the first time.. I also gift her some chocolates and such thru the week.. five bux every morning means my greg and I do not have to ever venture to the pool bar if we do not want to!! beach bar..a couple bux if we spend the morning in close proximity getting drinks..

breakfast and lunch at buffet 2 bux on table.

dinner at the buffet 2-5 bux depending on our drink service that evening.

dinner at an alacarte 5 dollars for decent service..10 dollars for over the top service

the occasional tip of a couple bux to gardners and beach cleaners.

that is just what WE do..what YOU do is a personal choice. there is no right or wrong

Lynn

10. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 24, 2014