We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 3
Horseback riding in Punta Cana

Does anyone know if there is any decent horseback riding in Punta Cana?

Wisconsin
1. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

It's been many years, but the horseback riding at the ranch adjacent to the Excellence was very nice, but definitely not risk free. At the time, it was included in our stay so I went 4 times, each time being a different "ride". TBH, IF I wasn't an experienced rider, I think I would've been seriously injured or dead - no joke.

Princeton Jct., NJ
reviews: 15
2. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

I totally disagree with the above poster. We have been riding when included as part of our stay at Excellence and have stayed elsewhere and still booked the riding at this stable. Nothing but wonderful times for us with a mix between tropical jungle trails, bay-side riding, and beachside riding. We're going back again in a couple of weeks and look forward to the excursion once again.

Wisconsin
3. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

What's to disagree with? It was MY experience(s). One of the rides was incident free, however, the next day (same horse), the saddle was not cinched on tight and the horse decided to stop, drop and roll. I was able to get out of the stirrups quickly and easily without getting hurt, but I was also wearing jeans and riding boots. Another rider, not experienced or properly dressed could've easily been hurt. The day after that (different trails/ride) (same horse), he decided he was done for the day and was determined to get back to the stable at at any cost. He took off like a bat out hell and there was no stopping him. We were in the coconut groves with very narrow paths and coconut lying everywhere. I was getting slapped in the face with low hanging branches while the horse stumbled on coconuts trying to weave his way around them. The trail guide futilely tried to catch up to us leaving all of the other riders ALONE (only one guide on that ride). Some of the other horses started run (because they don't like to be left behind). There is NO WAY an inexperienced rider would've been able to stay on at that hyper-speed. I was in total fear of falling off and hitting my head on a tree trunk or coconut.

I'm not saying it I wouldn't do it again or that the rides weren't worth it, but be aware of the risks. Proper footwear and legwear are in order anytime and this is no exception. The ranch hands/trail guides speak/spoke limited English and MOST of the riders/guests were not properly attired - ie: shorts and flip-flops.

Worcester...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

Check out "Horseplay" on Trip Adviser (under activities) - I'm booking this horseback riding and ziplining tour when I travel to PC in Nov.

Princeton Jct., NJ
reviews: 15
5. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

L'Net, I didn't phrase what I meant to say well. I meant that our experiences were totally opposite what you stated. Now that you've explained in more detail, I have to say that our experiences have been totally different in every way. We were, for example, always impressed that the horses did not do the run back to the stables routine. There were always English speaking leader. Never had only one guide. In fact, on one ride one of the guides took a clearly scared of the horses child and kept her calm and happy the entire ride on his horse. Just totally opposite experiences. Not an attack on your experiences.

Wisconsin
6. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

I'm probably the reason they've improved their safety practices! lol

7. Re: Horseback riding in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014