We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling right off the beach

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spanish Fort...
reviews: 4
Snorkeling right off the beach

My husband and I are looking for an adult-only AI with snorkeling right off the beach. Our budget is $5000 for a week. Thanks for any suggestions!

Edmundston, Canada
reviews: 34
1. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

If I'm not mistaking, I think the only resort with a bit of snorkeling right off the beach would at the Royal Catalonia, adults only.

Georgina, Canada
reviews: 9
2. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

karon

The Catalonia Royal does offer some good snorkling. The water is calm and clear and there are some old concrete piping to the right of the swimming area that offer some hiding spots for fish. Now I snorkled quite aways to the right and encountered a very large fish which startled me enough to choke. But fortunately it was just as frightned and took off.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
3. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

Catalonia Royal has snorkelling in calm water. No boat traffic to worry about either.

Punta Cana...
4. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

the Catalonia Resort, the whole miles of Punta Cana Beach(original PC south of the Airport) and the numerous beaches of juanillo at Cap Cana are nice suited for snorkeling off the beaches, little to zero bothering boat traffick around those areas.

Mike

Staffordshire
5. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

We'll be at Catalonia Royal in May, is it advisable to take your own snorkel and mask, or can you hire them from the resort? Will the water be clear and warm in May (and a little 'off topic' question - are the pool temperatures warm in May?). Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
6. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

I would take your own mask and snorkel. Snorkelling is very popular at this resort, they often run out of rentals, and you're limited to 1 hr free use per day with the supplied equipment.

Water clarity depends on winds and tides as well as amount of rainfall. Water should be warm enough. I've been late May and was able to go in the water. I hate cold water.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 38
7. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

As marg says take your own gear.

Staffordshire
8. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

Ok, thanks, will be packing my snorkel, just hope the water is warm enough for me to venture in!!

Nova Scotia
reviews: 2
9. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

Also going to Catalonia Royal this month and are interested in the snorkeling. We have a little experience from organized snorkeling tours and want to try it on our own. Some of you mention taking your own mask and snorkel. What about fins? Just purchased snorkeling equip and wondering if we need to take it all. No sense putting extra weight in our suitcases if not necessary. Thanks for your input.

Georgina, Canada
reviews: 9
10. Re: Snorkeling right off the beach

I would recommend taking at minimum your own mask and snorkel. Some people when using resort equipment have a bad sense of time when it comes to bringing stuff back plus I would like a snorkel that has only been in my mouth. I really didn't find a need for my fins since its pretty good off shore.

Edited: 7:02 am, April 03, 2013