We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Cancun?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Punta Cana or Cancun?

We vacation once or twice a year in Cancun at the Golden Parnassus. For those who have been to Cancun and Punta Cana, which do you prefer and which is normally a lower price?

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I've been to Cancun, Riviera Maya and Punta Cana. Although we had a great time there, I don't think we'll return to Punta Cana. Some people love it and return year after year. There are two differences that meant something to me. The food is better in Mexico. I'm not sure why, but it is! The other thing that we liked better in Mexico is that there are plenty of places to sightsee, which we like to do. There is none of that in PC. If you're happy soaking up the sun on the beach the entire trip, PC may be for you. There doesn't seem to be a major difference in price, but Mexico may be a bit lower.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
53,369 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Punta Cana is very, very different to the concrete jungle that is the hotel zone in Cancun

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

"Punta Cana is very, very different to the concrete jungle that is the hotel zone in Cancun"

One is a real beachfront experience and one is a fake

Punta Cana embraces and designs its resorts around one of the best beaches in the world - Bavaro Beach

Cancun dredges offshore for sand and its barged in - otherwise it would be a concrete jungle that happened to be waterfront

not if you want to compare Tulum and parts of the Riviera Maya then we could have a discussion ;)

I enjoy both places but for different reasons like you said - sightseeing etc

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

We've traveled to both locations and prefer Punta Cana for the beaches, tropical atmosphere, Latin music and the Dominican culture.

I'm in total agreement, that if you want to sight see, Riviera Maya/Cancun would be the place for you to go.

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Hi OnRWay,

We go to all, and actually prefer Playa Del Carmen, but also love Punta Cana for its' beaches. In the early '80's we loved Cancun, but now, we go for short get a ways, as we are doing in May with the family, as there is quite a lot to do there off property. In Punta Cana, it hasn't been hit over and over by the hurricane's and had the palms taken from the beaches as Cancun has. For those who have only seen Cancun without the palms....in the early and mid 1980's there were plenty! There is a more lush feel to Punta Cana, and when we go there, the property we choose IS the destination, instead of going out to different spots during the evening as you would in Cancun. If you have been to PlayaCar...it has a similar feel, but without the wee town, and there is no gated community...just the resorts. Also, the town of PDC is not there. You can do some shopping in Punta Cana along the beach and in a wee area near the Palladium's, but it is not like Cancun that way. You can do tours, but they are guided, and there is no bus system like Cancun. It would be sort of like comparing apples and oranges....Cancun with its' high rise hotels and Punta Cana with its' low rise sprawling resorts. For us, when we book, Mexico is more expensive for us, but we go mainly to PDC area. If you have ever been to Disney World...think of the Contemporary Resort as Cancun, and the Polynesian or Coronado as PC :)

Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Thanks for the replies. We used to do a bit of sight seeing when in Cancun, but, we are more stay at the resort and enjoy the beach, pool, sun and whatever the resort has to offer. Occasionally do a little shopping near the resort but it's not a must. So, all in all Punta Cana sounds like a great alternative to Cancun for us.

Level Contributor
352 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

OnRWay....being from your neck of the woods and just having booked our trip within the last 12 hours, I can say in price they are very comparable. Stood at the kitchen bar last night going back and forth between Riviera maya and punta, john said...Book Punta Cana! So I did. I really do feel there is more off resort in Riviera maya that is closer but....if you want to relax, chill, enjoy the beach, PC is great!

Level Contributor
2,094 posts
121 reviews
8. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I found Cancun to be too Americanized compared to PC, but I went several years ago and it might be different now. Since we are beach people and like the feel of the local culture, we will return to PC or try a different area of Mexico before returning to Cancun,

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Flip flip yes it is a concrete jungle, but last time I went, I stayed south of the airport in Puerto Morelos which is hardly anything like the Cancun strip, it was very nice and enjoyable.

Punta Cana is still my destination choice, but when it comes to $'s, I will return to the Cancun area in a minute.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
171 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I fully appreciate the fact that there's not much to do outside of the resorts in Punta Cana and it's why I keep going back. Coming from a large city where I have a busy work and social life, it's pretty blissful for me. I know there are a few spots in Punta Cana to party and get wild late into the night, but it's nothing like Cancun where there are a million choices of things to do and places to go when it gets dark. Personally, the thing I love about Punta Cana is coming from the beach, showering and relaxing for a bit in the room, having a nice dinner, and going to bed around 9 or 10pm...lol. It's bliss and it's just what I need.