We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 1
Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

HI, I want to take my kids on a vacation I have been saving for, for years. It will probably be our first and last and want to make it the best. I want to go to Punta Cana Bavaro Beach. My kids are 22, 18, 13. I am finding it hard to find an All Inclusive Resort that will take all of us in 1 room, that also has great food, on Bavaro, great Ammenities, and enough to keep the kids all busy without having to pay for excursions. I really need advice. My Budget is about $5500 because we still need to buy insurance which is expensive, and still have enough room on the credit card for check in, and enough cash for tarrifs per person going in and out of the country. Is there such a perfect place? :( I have been studying and reading tons of reviews and it is all so overwhelming.

Help!

boston, ma
reviews: 3
1. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

when trying to book online or through a travel agent most times they will tell you only x amount of ppl per room... I always run into this becuase i have 3 kids/5 ppl in a room... so what i do is book a package (if cheaper) and then add the last person seperately by calling the resort... never had an issue. If you want to be safe call the resort prior to booking and ask them if you can do it...

plenty of good resorts.. put your priorities and lots of ppl will respond to u

MTL
2. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Hi KBear,

When do you plan on going?

The cheapest month is usually mid to end of September and into 1st - 2nd week of October.

As an example in those months we have paid 648$ and 698$ including tax to the Gran Bahia for their upgraded section.

Flying from Canada majority of airlines pay the entry and exit fee for you except Sunwing so that will help you.

Many resorts they do not take your credit card at check-in so that would help you also.

If you can let us know the dates or months you want to go then we can point you in the right direction for your budget.

Thanks

Edited: 5:55 pm, March 14, 2013
canada
reviews: 10
3. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Make sure you ask about hidden fee's. NOT all airlines pay the tourist card $10 pp fee or the $20 pp departure tax fee, got this from my travel agent. Also watch for which airlines charge luggage fee's - with that many people that could be a large bill ie. United is $25 per bag each way!

Also watch for if transportation to and from airport are included - again this can be upward of $15 pp each way.

Hope this helps some! We are flying westjet through fun sun and no baggage, or other fee's!

MTL
4. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

NeedaBreak

Considering the OP is from Canada she will not have to worry about baggage fees.

As for 10$ entry and 20$ exit fees it is only Sunwing in Canada that does not pay it.

Most packages include transport but if OP gets one without and her airline is not Sunwing then that essentially pays the cab to and from airport. Cabs are cheaper then OP paying a transfer separately per person as it is highly likely the resort she will be going at will fall in the cab fare range of 35$ to 40$

Edited: 6:08 pm, March 14, 2013
St. John's, Canada
reviews: 6
5. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

It would be good to know when you are planning to travel, as prices vary widely according to time of year. For example, it would be more difficult to meet your needs within your budget during March break as prices are usually high in that time frame. Also, are you planning on flying out of Hamilton, or Toronto and how long are you staying?

Check out the Grand Bahia Principe, you may get that for around $1100 per person per week out of Toronto during the last week in June, also Ocean Blue/Sand. These are both good resorts - We've only stayed at the Bahia, but our daughter who was then 18 had an excellent time.

Most of the Canadian companies, except Sunwing, include the tariffs/entry /exit fees within their rates so you don't need to allot extra money for that. Try wwww.tripcentral.ca as a useful site to see rates across a variety of resorts and dates.

Hope this helps.

canada
6. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Hi BigJim:

Alot of flights out of Pearson are still charging for baggage and those other fees. If the OP books flights herself she may run into this. Only westjet and aircan do not charge for 1st bag. Charters are hit and miss. I am just saying to look carefully at what you are purchasing and look at the fine print.

canada
7. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Cabs would work - but that sometimes can get doubled depending on how much luggage you have - not sure about DR.

OP we are staying end of June at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. We booked via travel agent but the package was with Fun Sun. We upgraded to diamond level - before the upgrade it was $994.50 pp tax in. Not sure how many you can arrange in a room here though.

Hope this helps

MTL
8. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

I never had to pay 1st checked bag fees on AC, Transat, Wesjet, Sunwing and Canjet when going to Punta Cana or Cuba.

Which are also pretty much the main Canadian carriers that go to PUJ

Edited: 6:40 pm, March 14, 2013
canada
9. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

I have paid on Us AIr and United, Delta etc. so those would be ones to watch for. But as you pointed out NOT Canadian airlines. So you are correct on those points.

MTL
10. Re: Single Mom, 3 kids 22,18,13, on a budget. Need advice

Yes those are all US airlines :) Which pretty much all Canadian packages never offer those flights unless you choose to book hotel and airline separately.

I pay those as well when I go to Florida. Then again driving over the border (45 min) for me is worth it considering how cheap airfare is from the USA. I will be leaving April 9th for a month in Florida and with 30$ bag each way came to 210$ tax in. Canadian taxes are more lol

Edited: 6:51 pm, March 14, 2013