We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towel Game!!!!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Towel Game!!!!

How do you feel about it? Do you feel management should intervene and impose a time limit?

Im against it! These resorts are big and host a lot of guest. You need to be present if you want that spot/chair! I for one will give someone two hours... If you have a prime spot and you are not back, I am moving your stuff...

Your thoughts?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 8
31. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I'm usually an early riser when I'm down there. I enjoy the mornings. On a clear day, I like to watch the sunrise. Other than breakfast, lunch, swimming, etc., you'd find us in that spot all day, until 4 - 4:30. If I decide to sleep in, and get down there late, I don't expect to get a primo spot. But I've never had a problem finding a suitable spot.

Live and let live. I think some people spend too much time stewing over what other people are doing. Is it rude and selfish for someone to take spots on both the beach and by the pool, or reserve a spot and go on an excursion? Absolutely. But how can I know that unless I'm sitting nearby anyway? If I just walk up and see a spot with nobody sitting there, how do I know they're not just swimming in the pool, or in the bathroom, or getting a drink? If I'm sitting there all morning, and someone asks me about a nearby spot, I'll tell them if there hasn't been anybody there all morning. The proper thing to do is to get a concierge to handle it at that point. Nobody should be handling other people's belongings.

Loungers, palapas, etc. are not just for sitting in. They're a home base. We're not there just to sit. We're there to swim, walk on the beach, and generally enjoy the resort. If we have to find a new spot every time we do anything, it simply wouldn't be worthwhile going. Let's say there are four of us. If one goes for a walk, is his/her chair open season now? If I came back, dripping wet from a swim, and found somebody sitting in my spot, with my towels and belongings removed, I'd be ticked.

For those who say they'll walk down to the beach and remove things and take a spot, you're creating acrimony. You're supposed to be relaxing and having a good time. For every actual abuser, there are a bunch of people who just happened to not be there at the time. I've seen loungers go without anybody sitting in them for quite a while, simply because the people are tossing a football or a frisbee around. They're having a good time, which is what you should be doing, rather than getting in a snit about the amount of time someone isn't actually sitting on a chair.

Mark

new jersey
reviews: 6
32. Re: Towel Game!!!!

from washington. i noticed you & your husband have trip advisor macho? LOL i can't stand bully's some of us are not intimidated by a chubby husband. i would feel sorry for you if i came back from the water found your rear in my chair and my personal property tossed to the side. all i can say choose wisely and be careful what you get him into. dominican jail would not be a picnic either. with this said i wish all a chair & at least make the effort to get your own chair. just maybe the resort needs more of them.

Coventry, United...
reviews: 137
33. Re: Towel Game!!!!

Copied from the another Towel game thread..

These are all true stories. Being a well seasoned traveller I have seen it all.

Many years ago it was always the Germans doing this in Tunisia. They used to get up at 5.00 am and put towels out. We then started getting up earlier in the morning and dumping all their towels in the corner of the garden, leaving the sunbeds empty. It worked a treat. When they complained we told them it was the staff.

Several days later the First Choice holiday rep said she would help us out. On the day she got involved (she kept it secret), all of the Brits went down earlier and piled all the German towels in the corner of the garden and put their towels on the sunbeds. The rep came down and saw the towels on the sunbeds and dumped them in the pool. Thinking the towels belonged to the Germans. Talk about red faces. -:)

It all depends on where you are and who thinks it is the dominant nation. I remember in Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt, there were excellent cabaret acts on for several nights in our resort. It was frequented by Russians who wanted to be at the front of every queue. They used to get to all the front seats first and put items of clothing and the like on the front tables and chairs and then went off for their evening meals. The staff saw this and as soon as they had gone for their evening meal, the staff took all the items away and left them in the reception. Problem solved.

In Cyprus in the 1980's I saw the Germans again come back from the bars at night and pull sunbeds off the piles of stacked ones and put them in their favourite positions and put towels on them. Again the holiday reps got involved and took the towels away for safe keeping. It was not long before the problem was solved, because in those days, the hotel towels were not used for this and it was private towels that disappeared.

To be honest, the problem is created by the hotels/resorts themselves. If they had sufficient sunbeds and had several members of staff to control everything (as some do in parts of the world) then no one would have the need to do this.

Ladysmith, Canada
34. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I am against moving someone's stuff. If there is a rule against this type of "reserving", management should post that rule. If someone believes that another had infringed the rule, then there should be a porter (staff person) to whom a complaint is lodged. That person should then remove the belongings, place a sealed letter (advising them of the infraction and telling them where they can pick up their stuff - such as the towel hut) explaining what happened and enclosing a pick up stub that they can give to the "towel hut" to reclaim their stuff. The sealed envelope can be claimed from the porter's desk or left with the new renters to give to the angry guests when they return.

Failing something like that [which requires management's attention to the problem], I would not move another guests' things. It invites confrontation.

Another alternative is to speak to them when they return and point out that many others have been looking to take that spot and point out how rude they have been. May be they will think twice next time.

Until there is a formal rule, when in Rome...............

PC

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
35. Re: Towel Game!!!!

PC,

I believe it was Flipflop_man (not sure) who took a picture of someone dragging pool floats to their room. The person asked what he was doing, and he said he was just getting a picture of someone hoarding pool floats. If I remember correctly, they felt guilty and stopped doing it.

I think there are many people who just don't think about what they are doing, and how it impacts on others. We had some nice people sitting next to us last year, by the pool, and they had a couple of pool floats under their chair. During the course of the conversation, I mentioned to them that they're not supposed to do that. They said "oh, you're right. That makes sense" and they put the floats in the pool.

Mark

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
reviews: 93
36. Re: Towel Game!!!!

LOL - you have to be careful about the pool floats, though .We always bring our own. I have had people ask us if we are done with our floats when we go in for lunch and I direct them to the gift shop where they can buy them. I schlepped them 3000 miles so that they would be at my beck and call for the entire week, and no, they are not for loaning out. On our last day, we will give them to another couple. So, yes, you will find us bringing our floats back to the room because they actually belong to us.

Same thing with our snorkel gear. No, you or your kid may not use my snorkel mask (that happens to be prescription ) ICK.

Wisconsin
reviews: 3
37. Re: Towel Game!!!!

bomberro, I use the extra towel cards for towels since I like to have 2 per lounger and then another one for cleaning off sand, etc. or covering a scorched area (feet) and then also using them in the room (clean ones) for the bathroom floor, drying laundered suits, covering the plastic balcony chairs to avoid sticking to them....

Mark, Oh you can tell if someone has reserved a chair and not used it - ie: no butt marks ... The 6 I observed last week hogged 6 chairs and 3 tables. Day 3 I took their towels. Day 4 sand "accidentally" got all over their chairs. Didn't matter tho - they NEVER showed up and we were on the beach daily 8/9-5.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
38. Re: Towel Game!!!!

L'Net,

With regard to the extra towel cards: I've been to resorts where not being able to produce a towel card results in a $100 fee. If you take someone's towel in those circumstances, isn't that tantamount to theft? So they would probably just go and steal someone else's towels, and so on, but somebody is going to pay the price, and it could very well be someone not guilty of the towel game.

I also like to have more than one towel, which is why I prefer resorts without towel cards.

Mark

Wisconsin
reviews: 3
39. Re: Towel Game!!!!

Mark, You are right and I would never do that if it were the case. Where I was, there was no penalty. They didn't even ask for our cards upon check out. I still have a couple 'souvenirs'. They work great for scraping ice off a windshield. :o)

Ladysmith, Canada
40. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I agree with Mark's comments at post 33.

I don't believe it is appropriate for one guest to touch anothers' belongings. If you do, you run the risk of that person accusing you of theft or, since you don't know the other, an altercation. We saw such an altercation twice during our 2007 trip to the Ambar. On each occasion, the "remover" backed down and righfully so.

However, if a guest politely points out the transgression, you would be surprised at how some inward-looking fixing the issue.

In 2011, we had a great spot on the beach - at the front, quiet, perfect. We had 3 loungers. There were 2 of us. 2 loungers were in the shade of the palapa. The third was in front of the shade for tanning. We took turns in the sun. A larger group to our left kept eying us. No one said anything. I did not see any issue. But, as the beach area filled, a fellow came to us and asked if he could have the third lounger - we said, "yes, help yourself". The group to our left stopped gawking. We stay at the beach all day, except to swim, use the washroom, visit the beach bar and have lunch. Were we selfish using up an extra lounger - I don't think so because there were plenty of others for the taking. When supply was short, someone asked and we looked around and saw that there were none to be had.

The hotels need to post guidelines using more than one language. There has to be a better way.

PC