We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towel Game!!!!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Towel Game!!!!

How do you feel about it? Do you feel management should intervene and impose a time limit?

Im against it! These resorts are big and host a lot of guest. You need to be present if you want that spot/chair! I for one will give someone two hours... If you have a prime spot and you are not back, I am moving your stuff...

Your thoughts?

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I think we've already got 10,000 posts on this very subject,,, some are even current LOL

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 8
2. Re: Towel Game!!!!

Half the time, these people don't show up until late afternoon! My husband and I spent a lot of time hunting chairs every single day when we were at Punta Cana! I observed a few of these towelled chairs and waited for a long time. Hmmmm, I would do it but I wouldn't want to be busted either! LOL!

New York City, New...
3. Re: Towel Game!!!!

The same people will do it both at the pool and beach........

Chester, United...
reviews: 48
4. Re: Towel Game!!!!

Danny

I suggest you sit down with a bottle of something and read through this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k60885…

New Jersey
reviews: 8
5. Re: Towel Game!!!!

its one of those things that I'm against but when you can't beat them, join them. Last week I walked down to the beach by 7-8 AM and I saved my spot.

Now, I would go to breakfast and be back to the beach by 9-10 AM anyway, its the ones that never show up until 3 PM that irritate me.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Towel Game!!!!

@ FlipFlop Man WOW.. Thats all I got to say!!!

New York City, New...
7. Re: Towel Game!!!!

The reason for this post is because I vacation a lot in Aruba (timeshare/family) and at my timeshare it is not permitted. I seen some big fights over this in the past and I feel if management posted some rules it might help...

Gatineau, Canada
reviews: 11
8. Re: Towel Game!!!!

Danny, some resorts to have a nice sign that everyone seem to ignore! :)

Washington, DC
reviews: 1
9. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I have a question about this... So what do people put on these chairs to "reserve" them. Just their hotel towels? Or do people leave their personal crap on them too?!??

I for one am with you... I WILL BE REMOVING YOUR TOWEL AS SOON AS I GET TO THE BEACH WITH MY KIDS AND BIG AND INTIMIDATING HUSBAND WITH ME! SO IF YOU WANNA START SOMETHING, THEN BE ABOUT IT! B/C I'M NOT SCARED!

This crap aint right I tell ya!

Especially b/c I have 2 kids with me, and their skin needs shade from that heavy sun. Its not right to reserve the good spots for hours if you're not using them.

Wirral, United...
reviews: 21
10. Re: Towel Game!!!!

I get up at 7 most days on holiday, it is a lovely time of the day, peaceful and quiet, not too hot. and I sit on my chair watch the world go by and read. Eventually my family will come out, that could be anytime between 8-11, then we might get a bite to eat, then I go back and read. I do like a long lunch, with a couple of glasses of wine so I might be away from my lounger for say an hour around 2.00pm, then I come back and have a snooze, Pretty boring I know, but I work hard and like to just relax and unwind on my hols.

It is when I get up at seven and I still cant get a lounger. In St. Lucia a couple of years ago you had to be up at 6.00 and still could not take your pick.

I watch the people come out each morning, some even still wearing their PJs to stake their claim, I have seen the families that take 4 chairs, 2 for the kids and the kids might sit on the chairs for oh, 10 minutes all day. We never save chairs for our son as he just doesnt sit still long enough. The families that take prime chairs around the pool then go and sit on the beach all day.

Is there an answer, On the cruises the staff are pretty strict about removing items and releasing beds, I have seen a few arguments, but I think ultimately it does need to come from the hotel. It shouldnt have to just be the people brave enough to remove stuff that get the chair.

I have stayed in a couple of hotels where the pool / beach attendants keep all the chairs stacked up and bring them to you as you come out, wipe them over, unfurl you a towel ask if you need a table or umbrella, and when you are putting your stuff together to go somewhere come and ask you if you have finished. so they can tidy up after you. This works well, makes you feel looked after and stops a lot of the problems. Is it too expensive to implement in some of the big hotels, possibly, especially when they are very spread out.

The towel game has been going on for years, all around the world, it would be good to come up with the answer, it drives everyone mad.