We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia
reviews: 3
RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

We are a group of 13 that are going to the RIU Palace Macao in April and I've been reading a lot of reviews and the forum, etc. I've noticed that some people are being told that the resort is overbooked when they get there and the hotel pushes them over to one of the other Palaces in the complex. I'm wondering if there are many that have experienced this problem this year and what actions you took. We booked this particular resort because it was adults only so needless to say we want to get what we paid for. Any insights on this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nova Scotia
11. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

We are going the week of April 12-19 and from what we can tell, the resort is completely booked that week and the week before so we are somewhat leery of being bumped to one of the other resorts. We've emailed our travel agent - Selloff Vacations - about this concern and she has apparently emailed the resort about our concern. We're just waiting to hear what they told her. Yes, if we do get bumped, the Bavaro section would be the only alternative we would accept if that happened. But whatever happens, it won't put a damper on the vacation....life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

Dartmouth, MA
reviews: 33
12. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

Hello, Looks like I'm in the exact same baot as you are. I have 9 rooms booked for April 13-30 at the RIU Palace Macao and am taking an upgrade to RIU Palace Bavaro now so that I don't have to deal with it when we ge there. I was notified of the issue by my travel agent. Where are you at with your situation?

Nova Scotia
13. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

We received our etickets yesterday and it's still a go for the Macao for our group. So hopefully we won't find out anything different when we get to the resort....22 more days to go!!

Nova Scotia
14. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

Hi Carax

Did you just decide to change now to the Palace Bavaro or did your travel agent call you and recommend this now? Did you already have your tickets before the travel agent call you? We did talk to our travel agent about 3 weeks ago about the chance of getting bumped and she told us it wouldn't be an issue...so who knows...guess we'll find out when we get there. I did just send an email to the RIU Macao inquiring about this too.

Dartmouth, MA
reviews: 33
15. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

My travel agent offered the option to me as I was unaware of it. However, she had not yet provided our vouchers to us.

Nova Scotia
16. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

The Riu did respond to my email last night and they said there were no issues and they were looking forward to having our group at the resort. I am really pleased that they responded so quickly to my email as it seems that some people weren't getting a response from them.

Prince Edward...
reviews: 2
17. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

We just got the call from TA..Macao is overbooked we are now going to the palace Bavaro.

Yorktown Heights
reviews: 22
18. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

Tim B

Sorry for late response, just noticed the post directed to me. They try to bump me end of Nov. 2012, that was after Thanksgiving, I refused because we wanted adults only. I honestly don't believe they are overbooking this resorts, this is the smallest of all Palaces there, and they trying to fill the rooms at the other ones. I believe this deliberate policies of this particular complex, how long can you blame tour operators for overbookings, does not Riu use computers for bookings,etc... Having said all that if any of you don't mind to be with children than all of these 3 Palaces are pretty much the same.

Brantford, Ontario
19. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

We are also travelling from April 12 to 19 and received a call yesterday from Signature to tell us that the resort is overbooked and that they are looking for volunteers to move to the other resort. We did not volunteer as we are meeting two couples from Ohio...their rooms have been confirmed at the Macao. We've emailed the resort, but haven't received a reply yet. This is has really sucked the fun out of the vacation countdown. I get that we'll still be in paradise, but we've had this vacation planned with our friends for months. We will be very disappointed if they split us up.

Yorktown Heights
reviews: 22
20. Re: RIU Macao - being overbooked and getting bumped

I had confirmation by email from the asst. manager Dasha(first name) and still they try to 'upgrade' us to Riu Palace Bavaro.