We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellent help

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 8
Insect repellent help

Hi was wondering which insect repellent is the bet to use. Has anyone used Autan. Am interested because this has no deet in it and would much rather stay away from deet.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Insect repellent help

Icaridin is thought to be effective (DEET and oil of lemon eucalyptus are the other two approved by the CDC as mosquito repellents). It doesn't work for me as well as DEET tho (but I also don't think I used a very strong version (20%?) when I did, so perhaps strength, rather than chemical, was the issue.

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 6
2. Re: Insect repellent help

nisboy:

We first tried Autan in Aruba and it worked great!

Mosi-Guard is another all-natural repellant that is sold throughout the UK. It also worked great for us!

Hope this helps!

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Insect repellent help

Unless it's got a ratio of 50% DEET it's not as effective. They're tough little cookies them there mozzies!!

UK
reviews: 59
4. Re: Insect repellent help

We have used a product called Mozquito milk in the past, used to get it from Boots or on line chemists, it has always worked for us and I would normally get eaten alive.

Chester, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: Insect repellent help

We always use mosi guard and find it very effective

http://mosi-guard.com/

Sheffield, United...
6. Re: Insect repellent help

I'm giving mosi guard a go next month when I visit as I get more sand fly bites than mosquito. I've been told it's quite effective for them so will try it out.

Amsterdam
reviews: 20
7. Re: Insect repellent help

20% DEET is fine,

Deet is very effective stuff and in this case 'The more the better' does not Apply.

Deet is a toxic and get absorbed by your skin so always try to use the less% you need and don't over use without a real need. You are going to a resort, you are not trekking through a jungle.

Deet melts plastic and polyester (hmmm that indicates that it is not as harmless as it might look) so mind out using it and getting a drop on your (designer) sunglasses and other stuff that is mot metal or cotton.

Do use it but dont over use and take extra care with kids, they really should not get too much of the stuff in their system.

Amy

Sheffield, United...
8. Re: Insect repellent help

Amy,

I'm afraid as I was brought up and spent many years in Africa I'm still In the Big Nasty Mozzy zone!!! ( in my head lol)

So you are right... in a resort in the Punta Cana area maybe even the more natural methods( which are chemical free ) are ok to use

Amsterdam
reviews: 20
9. Re: Insect repellent help

Lucky you to have spend so much time in Africa! And how nice of you to reply this way, most people hate to be contradicted.

Hat off to you :)

Amy

ps, quite a few resorts spray in the evening but I did get bitten a lot at the bars at night whenever I forgot to put a dab of repellent on my fet and arms

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
reviews: 77
10. Re: Insect repellent help

We have no problems with repellents with at 25% DEET and we are not living at a resort where they spray routinely for misquitoes.

BObK