We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Catharines...
reviews: 18
Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

i am returning to punta cana for the third time in april. last visit was at the Luxury bahia principe Ambar and i loved it.

This time i'm looking at possibly the Royal Suites Turquesa or Barcelo Bavaro Beach as another option.

Has anybody been to one or more of the 3 resorts for comparison.

i loved the lobby at the ambar, i loved the rooms , the food was fantastic and the resort was very upscale and spotless.

I found the majority of guests were canadian.

my concearn with the Royal Suites Turquesa is that it is part of the palladium complex which I have to admit in the pics is starting to look its age. is Turquesa as upscale as the Ambar?

has there been any reno's in the past year?

with barcelo , i'm told the adults only section is the older part of the barcelo palace complex. are the rooms that dated?

how far a walk is it to the main lobby or does the adults section have their own lobby, how would it compare?

how is the food at barcelo compared to the Ambar , and RST.

any feedback would be appreciated

thank you

Steve

Mount Stewart...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

I am going to the Barcelo Bavaro Beach in six weeks.....but a family member was just there. The rooms have been refurbished, not all of the bathrooms have been done. We choose this based on staying last year at a Barcelo in Mexico, the beach is the best part of the beachin Punta Cana and the resort is small, only 400 rooms but with access to the bigger resort next door. I also like that Barcelo actually has enough lounge chairs so you don't have to get up at awful o'clock to get a lounger on the beach. I have stayed at grand palladium palace, and did a tour of the Royal Suites Turquesa. If price was not a consideration I would go swim up suite at RST. Advantage, free wifi, lots of restaurants to choose from andi thought it was beautiful. There is an older section nearer the beach and a newer section in the swim up room area. It has a beautiful air conditioned lobby. Food was very good and in some restaurants exceptional. Barcelo Bavaro Beach unless you go club premium, you have to pay for wifi, and not all restaurants are free. Also, at Palladium you do not need to make reservations for restaurants, you just go and sign up if there is room, but as RST guests you get first priority. At BBB you have to reserve in advance and you have a limit on how many. You cannot use pool floats at BBB but you can at RST. So it is preference, I chose BBB this time for size, beach and the best beds.

On
reviews: 30
2. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

the new section of the royal suites are only 3 1/2 years old and are quite lovely and this is were the swim up suites are. I have no issues with the older or seaside section either but it has not had any updating, that said it only opened in 05 I believe. the rest of the grand palladium has had a lot of renovation in the last year and a half, 2 new a la cartes that have terraces that over look the ocean, a new snack bar with the seating directly on the beach, the new kids club, most of the bavaro buildings have been renovated, when we were there in Oct they were re doing walkways to a flag stone sort of walk with anti slip properties in neutral colours. both beach buffets have been completely redone. the royal section has 2 a la cartes, one of which serves all 3 meals and both have a terrace.

canada
reviews: 14
3. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

I have been to the royal suites turquesa in the swimout section and am currently at ambar for our second time.

you cannot go wrong with either resort..however my top pick is the ambar

food is very good at both, however at the royal suites if you want to just hit the buffet for lunch, you are dining with kids as the royal suites does not have a dedicated buffet for adults. they do have a small buffet in the royal restaurant to supplement the menu choices however you need to get dried off completely and changed to go to it.

whereas the ambar as you know has a beach buffet and the lobby buffet

I like the fact the royal suites lobby is airconditioned however it is not the activity hub that the ambar is..ambar def gets the nod for me on the lobby.

royal suites has free wifi in rooms , ambar does not..just lobby or pay for it for rooms

royal suites has better room service menu

rooms at ambar are on par with the rooms in the newer section of the royal suites

royal suites and the whole palladium has no dinner reservations required big bonus over ambar

alcohol brands are about the same in each

Beach is better at royal suites...but pool in my opinion is better at ambar,,plus on the beach you have the ambar dedicated beach bar which is nice and pool and beach waiter service which I find better than the royal suites beach service

again either one is a good choice.

that being said I will be returning to ambar in may or june

Lynn

St. Catharines...
4. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

thanks for the feedback guys

seems to be a 3 way tie on which resort you would pick

i am not ruling out the Ambar , but it is nice to try different resorts.

i just want to make sure they won't disappoint.

St. Catharines...
5. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

has anybody besides myself noticed a significant increase in punta cana resorts this year.

St. Catharines...
6. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

after 2 weeks of searching through reviews, its narrowed down to Turquesa and Ambar.

7. Re: Royal Suites Turquesa vs Barcelo Bavaro Beach vs Ambar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014