We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby Township...
reviews: 29
Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

My husband read somewhere that you have to use biodegradable sunscreen in Punta Cana, is this a fact?? If so what brand do you use? Thanks!

Morristown, New...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Yesterday, I learned what zorbing was, and today I'm gonna learn about biodegradable sunscreen! What is it, and where do you buy it? What makes it biodegradable?

I've never heard of any sort of restrictions on the types of sunscreen you may use in PC.... just bring lots, because it's pricey to buy there.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
2. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Someone is pulling a good joke on your husband. No such thing and it's probably the last thing they'd legislate here. California maybe but not here.

Aurora, Illinois
3. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Any place that has living reefs typically requires you to use biodegradable sunscreen. It is required in Cancun, but I don't believe that it is required in Punta Cana. However, if you go on a dolphin excursion they will probably require it or request that you buy one from them.

Ellicott City MD
reviews: 2
4. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

houseofscuba.com/sun-protection/acc520.html…

Learn something new every day.

Warwick, Rhode...
reviews: 81
5. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Yes it is a real thing. We use it when we go to Cozumel because of the reefs. Most of the people providing boat excursions checked everyone's sunscreen before they could go in the water snorkeling.

Punta Cana...
6. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

yes,

they require that you use that specific sunscreen, and as many guests don't have it you need to buy it from them on the tour for horrendous prices.

they say the use of the specific sunscreen protects their Reefs, but at the same moment they bring several times per day hundreds of guests on daily bases for snorkeling at exactly those Reefs, whirling up sand and producing fuel smokes/oils killing that same reefs since decades.

don't worry,

none of that is required in Punta Cana.

to make sense with a lil details like the requirement to use a specific sunprotector, before that some Huge Killing factors like whirling up sand, using Boats with Fuel/Diesel Engines, touching Reefs etc etc would need to be regulated, the sunprotector only does absolutely Zero positive effect on the Reefs where all the rest of bad Details stay on.

Happy Travels

Mike

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
7. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

My biggest issue with biodegradable sunscreen is that I am very allergic to zinc and titanium, the two most widely used physical barriers in sunscreen! Fishes may prefer it, but my skin absolutely does not!

Winnipeg, Canada
8. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

I was in walmart on Friday and a fellow stopped to ask me which brand was biodegradable as he was going snorkelling in Cancun this week. Not one of the brands (coppertone, Hawaiian tropic, etc) was. Where do you buy biodegradable sunscreen in Canada? I told the fellow to stop at a health food store as I really didn't know.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 38
9. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

Amazon.com

http://tinyurl.com/a9pq3nt

I order it yesterday, Reef Safe

Edited: 11:26 am, December 10, 2012
Punta Cana...
10. Re: Biodegradable sunscreen, is it mandatory?

so you snorkel not near any living Reef where your flippers and your movement in the water would stirr up Sand etc, to protect that Reef, right WUD?

Happy Travels

Mike