We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Misleading

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sackville, N.B.
reviews: 14
Very Misleading

I know it has been talked about before but I am returning to the ME for the 3rd time this winter so I have been again following the reviews and comments etc.

I have watched it drop from # 4 last year to # 15 presently.

But what I hope people looking at these ratings take into account is the fact that there is not a big difference between the top 20 resorts. In fact there are a whole bunch with 4 and 1/2 green circles! So really it is a tie. Even the Punta Cana Princess ranked # 26 has 4 and 1/2 circles.

And even in reading the reviews for the ME there has not been alot of difference between those when it was ranked 4th and now! There are lots who love it (like we do) but there are also those who don't.

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
1. Re: Very Misleading

Go can go to the TA help center to gain insight into how this rating system works:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/help

Scroll down to topic #58, "How do the Traveler Ratings work?" or type that into the search box.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 14
2. Re: Very Misleading

Actually, one could argue this thread is just as misleading as you believe the TA ratings are. ;-)

Something has caused the rating to slip. Unfortunately, only TA knows what has caused it because their, "system", is not clearly published.

Ellicott City MD
reviews: 2
3. Re: Very Misleading

Our 3rd trip to ME is coming up in April.

I know what to expect so I don't pay attention to the ratings.

If the ME would to be suddenly re-branded to another chain and the staff was replaced....

I would worry about the drop.

Kansas City...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Very Misleading

I wouldn't be concerned......if travelers select other resorts, due to a previous bad experience or just a personal preference, more room for you! Sounds like a positive to me.

Bavaro, Dominican...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Very Misleading

Just my personal opinion but ranking as the 4th best resort in punta cana is more misleading than 15th if the rankings are not explained, ranked 4th I would guess is very difficult to live up to expectations, I agree there's a lot of resorts on the same level that only personal prefference can tell the difference

London, United...
reviews: 37
6. Re: Very Misleading

I never really go by the ranking. I go by the rating (number of blobs) initially, but then read lots of reviews to get a better idea of what to expect.

I've some some resorts in places like Turkey get 4.5/5 simply because they're 'good value'; good value for me doesn't equal 4.5/5, when I write a review I try to be objective and take what I paid out of the equation, and focus on what the hotel offers etc.

So yeah, I don't pay much attention to the rankings.

Punta Cana...
7. Re: Very Misleading

I never paid any attention to the TA Ranking/Rating when choosing a property.

We know what we want/await at a resort, like for example Swimup Suite, no Reservations at a la cartes, small property without the need to use a Tram to come around, 2 room suite so we do not bother our baby gal when napping etc etc, and then we check which properties provide what we have as preferences.

so a property which provides what we want, will be on the list of the ones to choose from, independend of a TA Ranking.

as for the above mentioned Majestic Elegance, we spent there 5 vacations, 4 of them within 12 months only, we've always been perfectly satisfied by our expectations/needs, so of course we would book it any time again even if it would drop on #50 of the rankings, as long as our Expected amenities are still available.

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 7
8. Re: Very Misleading

The number of circles has nothing to do with the rankings. The rankings are based on ratings by TripAdvisor users. The star (circle) rating comes from travel companies, and are more reflective of the level of luxury, amenities available, etc.

When you see two resorts with 4.5 stars, it doesn't mean they're tied even with star ratings. A 4.6 and a 4.2 would both show pictorially as 4.5 stars. Expedia shows it both pictorially and the actual rating.

Mark

Pittsburgh
reviews: 22
9. Re: Very Misleading

I pay no attention to ratings and reviews. Would only use reviews to pick up specific pointers. PM,s , emails and asking questions on the forum is a much better way to help in making a decision.

Ontario
reviews: 9
10. Re: Very Misleading

I was worried when I saw it drop so quickly in such a short period of time only because I helped my best friend choose this resort for her wedding and feel somewhat responsible because now her worry is my worry lol!

I have forwarded her desiwoods blog on her current travels there and it has made a world of difference in that "peace of mind" knowing someone is currently there having a blast!

I lean towards the forum more than the reviews for answers and info.