We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
reviews: 121
Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Hi,

I'm going to Dominican Republic from Dec 21st to Jan 1st. Flying into Santo Domingo and leaving from Punta Cana. I'll split my stay between PC and Bayahibe. I'll stop at Bayahibe to enjoy some tours (Isla Saona, Scuba Diving etc.) without spending time on the road (From PC to Bayahibe I would have to lose at least one and a half hour RT on the road)

How many days do you think I need at each one?

I thought of 3 days in Bayahibe and 4 in Punta Cana. Is this ok?

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
1. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Bayahibe is a wonderful side of the island and is on the Caribbean. That time of year is great there, so you might want to consider it for your longer stay rather-than Punta Cana, which is on the Atlantic Ocean. Also lots more off-resort activities in that region as well.

Enjoy your visit to the DR!

Punta Cana...
2. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

only 3 days in Bayhibe including arrival day and departure day would not leave many days for tours, as your mentioned tours are full day tours and require a whole day for each, and visiting a caribbean Island you also may want to spend at least one day on tye beautiful beach I assume.

for example, if you plan on doing 2 day tours from Bayahibe, I would highly recommend to stay minimum 4 days there plus arrival day plus departure day to move to Punta Cana, otherwise you would only be on a stressy shedule with every minute preplanned before arrival.

due your tight shedule I would also recommend that you prebook your wished for tours prior to arrival, to guarantee that you can do what you plan to do.

have a fantastic time on the Island

Mike

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answer!

In fact I have a little bit more time than you may think. Here's my itinerary until now. It would be great if you could give me a hand. :-)

21 Santo Domingo (From 5PM)

22 Santo Domingo (Full DAY)

23 ???

24 ???

25 ??? - Arrive in Bayahibe at dusk

26 Bayahibe (Isla Saona)

27 Bayahibe (Scuba Dive)

28 Bayahibe (Another thing... Caves? Casa de Campo? Beach?) - Drive to PC at dusk

29 Punta Cana (Relax in the Hotel)

30 Punta Cana (Relax in the Hotel)

31 Punta Cana (Relax in the Hotel)

01 Punta Cana (Relax in the Hotel- Depart at 3PM)

Ok! I could add on more day in Bayahibe but that leaves me with two more days to spend in DR... Where? I didn't want to stay too long in Santo Domingo. Maybe I could add one more day there (or half day). It seems that the other places like Samana and Puerto Plata are too far away...

Edited: 11:00 am, December 06, 2012
Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
4. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

In the Bayahibe area, definately add Altos de Chavon to your itinerary!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

TravelPro198, noted!

I think I'll stay at Cadaques Caribe Resort & Villas. #1 at Tripadvisor (even though it only has 136 reviews). It is the cheaper hotel and not all-inclusive. I don't think I really have to add more $110/night to stay in an all-inclusive hotel where I won't stay the entire day. Am I right?

Guys, what about the "???" days? :-)

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
6. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

In Bayahibe region, there are many off-resort places to dine, so you are correct in your thinking about not needing an all-inclusive there, especially if you are not going to be taking full-advantage of those inclusive features! And the Cadaques is a great place, although their on-site food & alcoholic beverages are a tad-pricey...

In Punta Cana however, an all-inclusive is definately the way to go!

Punta Cana...
7. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

as for Altos de Chavon, I would combine it with the drive to Punta cana.

a relaxed late breakfast in bayahibe, spend some relaxed hours by the pool or on the Beach there, then drive to Altos de Chavon, do your sweep there, have a early afternoon Lunch there and then late afternoon do the ride to Punta Cana from there, no pressure, a relaxed day to enjoy and you arrive early enough in PC to get used to your new place and get ready for a nice dinner there.

Mike

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
8. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Great idea Mike!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
9. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Ok! What about my itinerary?

There are some deals ending VERY soon and I would really appreciate some help!

The thing is... I have no idea of what to do in 3 days (the ones marked with "???")! TravelPro and Mike reccomended to add 1 more day at Bayahibe and I agree.

Option A

I'll add this day and remove another one day from Punta Cana. I would still have 3 empty days to spend at another place (Where???)

Option B

I'll add this day and keep Punta Cana as it is. I would have 2 empty days to spend at another place (Where???)

Is there any other place that I could go to fill those empty days?

Thank you folks!!!

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
10. Re: Split stay - Punta Cana and Bayahibe

Why not add a second (or third) full day in the capitol city of Santo Domingo. There is so much to do & see that your one full day is just not enough!

The DR has a number of excellent national parks including Parque Nacional del Este in the Bayahibe area that will take you a day to explore.