We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about wedding

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundalk, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Confused about wedding

after reading several trip advisor reviews i am still confused is it better to have your paperwork done here (Canada) or will the wedding cordinator do all that for you?The price of a package wedding should include all the things you need to be married.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,592 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Confused about wedding

Imagine a Dominican wedding on a paradisiacal white sand beach, the cloudless sky and turquoise sea that provide an immaculate backdrop for the ceremony and of course your dearest family and friends who surround you, waiting to hear you say those few small words that mean so much. I witnessed many couples turning this fantasy into a reality, each in their own unique way.

Although a Dominican wedding can be costly, it does not necessarily needs to be more expensive than a wedding at home. A solid preparation is essential. There are various exclusive 4 and 5 star all-inclusive resorts that specialize in organizing and hosting Dominican weddings. These resorts employ wedding coordinators who will take care of the smallest details, eliminating a lot of stress for many or half the fun for some, depending on who is talking.

Most people who plan to get married in the Dominican Republic will decide to stay in an all-inclusive resort that offers free basic wedding packages with minimum stays of at least 5-7 nights. Such a package often includes two or four resort passes for people in your party who decide to stay elsewhere. Naturally, more elaborate packages are available. Whenever possible I suggest you dedicate a vacation to check if the wedding location of your choice suits your requirements and to talk to the person(s) who will be responsible for certain services like a wedding coordinator, florist or photographer. It is good to keep in mind that some resorts charge hefty fees when you do not use the wedding services the resort offers.

While a wedding in the Dominican Republic might be more economical for you, it often is not for the people you would like to join the ceremony. A special friend or family member might not have the funds readily available to join you at your chosen destination. For this reason and because the hotel or resort of your choice might be booked up for at least a half year, I recommend you set your wedding date well in advance.

No matter if you choose to get married in a luxury resort or make arrangements yourself and stay at a small romantic hotel nearby a secluded beach,

you will need to take care of the proper documents and certifications.

Don’t forget to contact the nearest Dominican Republic consulate or embassy since they are able to give you the exact details of what documentation is needed.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
2. Re: Confused about wedding

most Wedding Visitors to Punta cana get married at home first and then celebrate their big Event with a nice ceremony on a white Sandy Beach to renew their vows, as that way all is much less complicated and nothing could really go wrong, no pressure how long it would take to get your Wedding Paperwork sent over to you back home, as you have the really important official Wedding Documentations at hand at home. that way you also know under what Laws you got married and what Laws/Rules apply in case one day the couple would decide to go separte ways again.

congratulations to your upcoming Event

ottawa canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Confused about wedding

Were going on Dec 13. My son is getting married at oceans blue.They haved checked in to all the trouble it causes to only get married in the dominican and decided to get married at home first then have a simbolic wedding at the resort

Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Confused about wedding

Hi BrianInk

It has been awhile since I looked into Weddings in Dominican but if you check with these guys they can give you all the details.

The last time I looked into getting married you had to have all your documents translated into spanish.

Director: Abdalah Castillo

26 Wellington Street East Suite 201

Toronto, Ontario

Phone: 416-361-2126 or 2127

Toll Free: 1-888-494-5050

Fax: 416-361-2130

Edited: 5:46 pm, December 02, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Confused about wedding

We went to a destination wedding in Mexico. There was talk of the bride and groom getting married in Canada prior due to concerns about legality etc. To which I said "so, I'm not going to a wedding, I'm going to a symbolic ceremony?" Really? And what date will be your wedding anniversay??? OK, I admit I am old school, but if they had decided to have a symbolic whatever I am just not sure I would have spent the $$ to attend. As long as all invited clearly understand what they are being invited to - wedding or symbolic ceremony... then eveyone can make their own decisions about attending. Just my two cents.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Confused about wedding

Our daughter got married this past April at the PCP. She decided to get married at home first and then do another (non legal-symbolic) ceremony at the resort with 39 of our family and friends. To anyone not knowing, the ceremony looked like a real wedding. She did not have to worry about all of the legal stuff in PC. To our daugher, the PC wedding was her "real" wedding. Although she got married a month earlier at home by a justice of the peace, she did not wear her wedding gown until the PC wedding. None of her bridal party were part of the civil ceremony at home. They have decided to celebrate annually the date of the PC wedding as their actual anniversay date. When we got back from PC, she had a third celebration with about 150 guests (family and friends who could not make it to PC) to celebrate with everyone else. The entire wedding party got to put on all of their wedding outfits for a second time and have a huge party. We call it the wedding that lasted 3 full months.

Edited: 10:36 am, December 03, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Confused about wedding

Take into consideration too, that non-Canadian marriage certificates (especially in another language) may cause issues when trying to get routine things (driver's licence, health card etc) done back in Canada. My certificate was in English, and even then it caused a good degree of stress, and negotiations in the licencing office!!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Confused about wedding

That is exactly why she opted for the "no fuss" get married at home and do the cermony in PC route. We had read nightmares from other brides that it took them 6 months to get their paperwork sent to them. My daughter was not in the mood to deal with any possible problems.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
9. Re: Confused about wedding

I'd agree with 3CanadianBears - if you opt to be legally married at home and then do a symbolic ceremony in the DR - please make sure your guests are aware of that.

I have heard many brides state 'well - it really shouldn't matter, so we are not telling guests and treating it like it is the real thing because to us, it is.'

I have to say if I was a guest at a destination wedding and found out after the fact somehow that it was a symbolic ceremony and they were legally married before hand - I would be peeved. If people are paying to attend your wedding, they should know what they are paying to attend.

As a Canadian who chose to get married in the DR a few years ago - I think people exaggerate the complexity and cost involved. It does take a long time to get your certificate after the wedding - so if that is needed quickly - that would be an issue.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Confused about wedding

I am amazed at the 'petty ' reaction some of you seem to have. 'if it is not legal I am whining'. Hmmm.....

With that view if YOUR importance why did the poor couple invite you?

You are being invited to celebrate an occasion not to judge the event