We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Lowell, Ontario
3 posts
Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

We are going in January what should we pack and how warm is it that itr of year?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Hi

I would suggest bringing some colored beach towels. My boyfriend and I just came back from the ambar and this worked great on our beach chairs as if we left for a bit and came back our chairs were easy to find. Bubba Keg mugs for beverages as it keeps them quite cold instead of little plastic cups and lots of sunscreen as I got sun poisioning one day too much drink and too much sun. Hope this helps!

Terry

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

January is my favorite time in Punta Cana. A pashmina or shawl for those nights with a breeze.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
52,627 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Which resort are you going to???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Which resort? Many don't use those little plastic cups but use heavy plastic reusable cups, so no need for a giant mug.

I like Boca Clips to help ID my beach chair after a nice walk along the shoreline, towels were mentioned, but if that takes up too much space, an old large tee shirt can be pulled over the back of the chair for easy ID of your spot. We've done that for years at resorts around the globe!

We have been going in January for about ten years now, and it's very nice to escape the snow of PA, and relax on the beach in sunny temps in the mid 80s usually. Evenings are still warm to us, but suggestion of a pashmina is a good one, this also can modify an outfit so you can pack less things.

I always have at least one with me because it is essential on our way to/from our own airport in the cold and snow!

Then makes a nice shawl or throw for on the plane, after we have shed layers to get ready for the warmth of PC!

If you share which resort,

you will get more specific answers to help you pack.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

snorkle gear for the beach is my number one packing item, also sunscrean, Immodium ( just in case) an old t-shirt( for use to save chairs and also if you get too much sun one day you can wear it in the water and it won't matter ( something to throw away at end of your trip) .I usually pack one from my area, example Im from pittsburgh so I pack a steelers or pirates t-shirt. the average temp is around 83 in January and the ocean temps are right now 82 I think last I checked. Definately a light jacket to cover arms etc for the windy cooler nights. A Damp rid for in your room to get rid of extra moisture in the room.. Jan is a drier month but it still can be helpful for humidity. I also always take an extra plug adapter since rooms sometimes have limited outlets to charge electronics, like I pad, kindle, camera, etc... hope this helps.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

I know this seems obvious but don't forget plenty of sun protection creams and mosquito spray both are quite expensive here.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Don't forget things like Advil, Immodium, Zantec, Polysporin, bandaids, etc.

You don't want to have to buy these things at the store on-site. It's expensive.

Mark

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

~~Don't forget things like Advil, Immodium, Zantec, Polysporin, bandaids, etc.~~

I always have a small first aid kit packed. our travel companions always laugh at me as I am the one that packs everything (flashlight, umbrella, ponchos, air freshener etc etc). Our last trip a friend of ours cut her foot and went to the front desk to get a bandaid. They told her to go to the gift shop and they charged her $3 US for ONE bandaid. Her comment to me was lesson learned!

You don't want to have to buy these things at the store on-site. It's expensive.

Enfield
Level Contributor
170 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

People have mentioned some important items. Mozzies are a nuisance and Ive just come back and got bitten badly. That was the first time Ive been in November but never got bitten on other occasions Ive been. Unfortunately, the hotel didn't have screens on the balcon doors. It'd be good if you could find out if your hotel has them. Definitely take a mozzy killer spray for your room and spray it as soon as you get back from the beach (if you can bear it - because the maid has been in and they always leave the door open while working). Also, the same happens when turn down happens in the evening. We couldn't be bothered with it in the end and just put our don't disturb on the door to prevent any more getting in. Of all the holidays we've been on, this had to be the one we didn't take our over bed mozzy net. "Off" apparently, is the best repellant for the region but to get it from hotel shops is very expensive but other people may be able to advise you where to buy cheaper.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Going to Punta Cana for the first time what should we pack?

Half as many clothes as you think you need. I always take lots of clothing and since you spend all day in a swimsuit I never wear it all.

LOTS of sunblock LOTS!

A hat!

I read about the beach towels, but the resorts provide them and I don't want to haul it down there, takes up a TON of room, plus then you have to get it back and it's probably going to be damp and/or stinky LOL!

I go to Iberostar and they use decent size glasses at the pool/beach but if your resort does the tiny plastic cups go get a bubba or some other insulated glass. Those plastic things are too small and it's such a waste to throw bunches of those away every day!