We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Macao

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
reviews: 9
Riu Macao

We stayed at Riu Macao a couple of years ago and were disappointed with the pool area. I understand they have made changes at the resort. Has anyone been there who can let me know if there are any new pools or changes to the existing pool area. We're looking at returning in April, but need to know if there have been changes. Thanks for your input.

Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Riu Macao

They have changed the pools. If you go to the Riu Palace Macao reviews and click on the pictures they show the new pools. I have not been yet but I am looking forward to my trip in February.

Plymouth...
2. Re: Riu Macao

Thanks for you help, I'll take a ;ook.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 6
3. Re: Riu Macao

We stayed at the Palace Bavaro and walked over to the Macao. The pool area is fabulous.

Enjoy

Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Riu Macao

We have just returned and some changes have been for the better.

The main pool is still there with beds in the water and no fountain. To the side in the area where the outside bar was, there is another shallow pool with swim up bar and also a lovely bar seating area under cover. The pool area has been retiled and plenty of new sun beds

Plymouth...
5. Re: Riu Macao

I've read reviews that say there's no beach bar or services. Can this be true? We spend a lot of time at the beach...don't want to have to walk back to the pool everytime I want a drink! Can anyone ease my fears?

New York
6. Re: Riu Macao

Pilgrim:

yes it is true no beach bar service...they had a nice walkway to the beach...they covered it with sand....do not know why it was so nice...riu macao had a really cute beach bar on the beach that everyone loved they took it down..no beach service....really sad what they did....alot of people have been complaining not having beach bar service...

Plymouth...
7. Re: Riu Macao

Thanks...after reading reviews, I may rethink booking at tha Macao.

Peterborough
reviews: 6
8. Re: Riu Macao

Try the Bavaro instead. Going back for second visit in 3 weeks

New York
9. Re: Riu Macao

Pilgrim

The Riu Macao is a nice hotel...great beach area..staff are nice...the only thing is they made a big mistake taking the beach service away from the hotel...everyone loved the beach bar...and the beach service...\

do not understand why they take something everyone enjoyed at the hotel

Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Riu Macao

I think it all came down to cost with the renovations. The manager is aware people are not too happy about no beach bar but she said to us that it was a choice of beach bar or new pool bar and swimup and of course it means more staff. It was a great little bar!!