We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Cancun?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
reviews: 3
Punta Cana or Cancun?

We have been to Punta cana once in 2010- but never to Cancun.. we loved punta cana..but was wondering about the differences in beach/beach water between the two.

Timing would be mid november or or sometime in december.

Any inputs would be geatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Chelsea, Canada
reviews: 14
1. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I would look into the Riviera Maya instead. Unless you want it to be VERY different than PC (as in almost no trees and lots of concrete). Playacar and Tulum area have a nice beaches.

Minnesota
reviews: 1
2. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

PC007,

I'm actually the reverse of you, except that my wife has been to Punta Cana once. In Cancun, the water on the north side of the hotel zone you will find calmer water with some spots being weedy. The east side where most of the resorts are located you will find clear, blue water but the waves are more violent. Last time there, we found that the 'red flags' were the norm so you couldn't go in beyond your waist. If you hit the right time, the waves are a couple feet but so much fun to swim in, and really clear with beautiful white sand. You might also check south of Cancun about 45 miles @ Playa Del Carmen where there are plenty of resorts with smaller waves but the same clear water and white sand.

I'm in the process of booking a week in January (hopefully) in Punta Cana so I'm kind of in the same boat as you, hoping for beautiful beach and clear blue water.

Hartford...
reviews: 118
3. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I've been to cancun, going to DR in March.

I found Cancun to be a very young crowd with people that just wanted to party all night and get extremely banged up. Maybe my experience was different than others on here. I stayed at the El Pueblito, which i think may not even be there anymore, or has a different name.

I went when i was younger, and it was a very fun time, when i used to be into that sort of thing.

I guess it really depends what you are looking for. We are going to DR to do a lot of relaxing and a little bit of partying.

I would just check out all the reviews, and see what is more appealing to you.

Hartford...
reviews: 118
4. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Well, I just checked, and the hotel I stayed at years ago, is one of the lowest rated in Cancun, and labeled as a hotel for the younger crowd.

So maybe my advice isnt the best.

I went long before I knew about tripadvisor

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 8
5. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Cancun, and the Mayan Riviera can be cool in November/December at night. The result is that some years, the pool can be chilly, and you might need a sweater or jacket in the evening.

US
6. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Hmmm, I think PC will be it!

Thanks to everyone for their inputs!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
reviews: 52
7. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

PC is warmer, beach is better than in Cancun or even the Mayan Riviera.

Currents are stronger in ths Cancun hotel zone.

PC is a better choice.

N.H.
reviews: 2
8. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Just got back from the Mayan Riviera where we have been many times.

I went because of a good deal but agree the beach is better in Punta Cana.

Ithaca, New York
reviews: 26
9. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

I've been to both, Cancun many many times, and PC just once a number of years ago. Let's also talk about the Mayan Riviera, which is the area south of Cancun. The Mayan Riviera is a lot like PC, wide beaches, and sprawling resorts. If you stay in closer to towns in the MR, you'll have some club options. Cancun island has fairly narrow beaches, with the typical soft white sand. However, you have a ton of entertainment options in the evening. Regardless of where you stay in Mexico, Quintana Roo, you'll have options to visit Mayan Ruins, which I highly recommend.

US
10. Re: Punta Cana or Cancun?

Wow I like all this inputs really helps!

I am edging towards PC because of the beach...thats really our main interest...we dont really want to venture out ...and i like the fact that the waters are indeed calm there...