We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying in Canadian dollars

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontraio
reviews: 22
paying in Canadian dollars

Was there any problem with paying or tipping in Canadian dollars. Just wondering , instead of going and getting US dollars , could we not just use our currancy?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
1. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

Nobody's really interested in Canadian dollars down there. As difficult as it is for you to get US $, it's worse for them.

If you're tipping, then follow the favour through by giving them something that they can use and that they won't lose a bundle on the exchange rate. If you're transacting business, be aware that it's not a currency of business in the DR.

The Canadian dollar is very strong right now. It is the best time to go out and buy $200 US, or to buy more against a future trip when the dollar may not be so healthy.

Kaki

NB Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

Well i have used both, but it is much easier to have american ones for tipping,i guess the choice is really yours, but if it happens you end up with a place that wont take canadian, and you will, then there is not much you can do, because you can then only exchange into pesos

b.c.
reviews: 1
3. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

they will rob you blind on exchanging canadian down there.....dont even take canadian travellers.....take american cash or american travellers.....also take small american bills as when you pay with big american bills they will give you pesos back at a bad rate.....just got back and found out this info the hard way

Sault Ste. Marie...
reviews: 2
4. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

Only take US $. The exchange rate last week at the Gran Bahia was 19 pesos for a Canadian Dollar, when it should be worth closer to 30. I was glad that I had changed my money into $US prior to departing to Punta Cana.

Canada
reviews: 1
5. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

I actually take both,,I use the US$ for tips, and to get out of the country, and I use our $ for any small purchases I make--like the $9 Pringles! We do not go on any tours, or buy any souveniera though,,I am sure you need US$ for both.

Wpg
6. Re: paying in Canadian dollars

owwww, Soogirl, two days ago, at the Palladium Grand Hotel, exchange rate was 23.5 peso to the Canadian Dollar, ouch, you got totally ripped!!!! It was 26 to the american dollar.