We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
reviews: 1
Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

A friend who is going with me to Punta Cana in Feb briefly heard that a plane that arrived in Regina from Punta Cana was quarantined. Does any one any info on this? He just caught the end of the news and just heard that little blurb. Could it be due to the Norwalk virus at the Rui hotels? I don't want to cause a panic but would like to know whats going on. Does any one know if it has been contained, solved, or spread to any other hotels?

Pittsburgh, PA
11. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

Thank you JudyM for clarifying..

This is our 3rd trip back, we're leaving tomorrow morning. We are also taking chloroquine and keeping a GOOD attitude about everything until something proves us wrong. which has NEVER happend in the past.

perth,ont
12. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

There were 2 planes held. One from Regina and one going to Ottawa. We were on the Ottawa one. Apparently 4 people on board werent feeling well. They had to confirm it wasnt an airborne disease before they let us off. We were coming from Punta Cana. Dont know what resort the sick people were at. We were at Iberostar Bavara and were fine.

Ottawa
13. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

angeleo02 - which resort will you be staying at? We are going to the Allegro Punta Cana.

Just to be safe, we are bringing extra bottles of hand antiseptic and I'm bringing a can of Lysol just to spray the room each day (as well as the bedspread!).

Hope you have a safe and wonderful vacation!

New York, New York
14. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

I think everyone is being overly cautious about malaria, food poisoning etc. As you all know, you can catch various diseaes in your own hometowns. Just go there, have fun, and relax. At least its not snowing there. Can't wait to go.

Near High River, AB
15. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

The hospital in the town I live near (High River, AB) has been closed to visitors due to Norwalk - it isn't as frightening as reports have made it to be in the DR. Norwalk or norovirus can be anywhere.

In a place like DR you have to be responsible. wash your hands lots, take antiseptic (no water) type cleansing wipes or the gel, avoid ice cubes, unwashed fruit etc. I'm still planning on going the 3rd of February to Punta Cana (Fiesta Beach Resort) - I plan to be careful, but I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my trip.

The media loves to jump on the bandwagon for this type of stuff. I'm thinking maybe the resort won't be as crowded :-))

Near High River, AB
16. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

The hospital in the town I live near (High River, AB) has been closed to visitors due to Norwalk - it isn't as frightening as reports have made it to be in the DR. Norwalk or norovirus can be anywhere.

In a place like DR you have to be responsible. wash your hands lots, take antiseptic (no water) type cleansing wipes or the gel, avoid ice cubes, unwashed fruit etc. I'm still planning on going the 3rd of February to Punta Cana (Fiesta Beach Resort) - I plan to be careful, but I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my trip.

The media loves to jump on the bandwagon for this type of stuff. I'm thinking maybe the resort won't be as crowded :-))

Winnipeg
17. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

Thanks to all who provided such good info and advise (with one exception...ahhem..VancouverPimp).

I will be careful about keeping my hands clean and sanatized but still going with an open mind and plans to have a great time!

I hope the rest of you do too :-)

Vancouver
reviews: 4
18. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

ok ok ok, let me clear myself, i had some friends who were there and said people were sick from different hotels, not just RIU. Malaria isn't bad he said, hardly any misqitos and can be avioded by taking pills. The Norwalk, apprently come from the food, and i was told all places receive food from the same source. Dont hate me, i was just saying what I heard. Sorry guys.

cowtown
19. Re: Quarantined plane from Punta Cana?

Here in Canada, we have the Norwalk virus, we also have the West Nile virus. Doesn't seem like there is much difference with our two countries, other than we have a little more area and a better economy (they have more sun and better beaches!!). We take a chance living where-ever we go...I will not let these media scares, scare me away from having the time of my life.