We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkton, Canada
reviews: 34
Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Something I've been wondering about and hoping somebody will have the answer...

We went to Punta Cana this past February and we took along an unlocked cell phone and picked up an Orange SIM card locally to use in it... worked great for the two weeks we were there and was super cheap too. I know that the SIM itself has an expiration on it... my question: The next time we goto Punta Cana can I just get another Orange SIM card to put into that same unlocked phone?

I'm assuming you can... but you know what they say when people "assume". I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't (could have dreamt this too) because when you get your SIM card in the Dominican Republic they take down the phone information and the network "blocks" it from use after expiration of the SIM.

Thanks for any information you can pass along!

117 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 19
1. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Yes, you just get another SIM card, unless, you top the mnutes off before they expire.

Yorkton, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Thanks for the info debinatore!

Winnipeg, Canada
3. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

I still have my Dominican phone and it's expired but I'm assuming that next week when I'm there I just get a new SIM card... will post back and let you know.

I also remember seeing a post, or I'm sure you can google it, that you can go online and keep it topped up, it wouldn't cost very much and would save you having to get a new SIM card.

Cheers, Debbie

Brantford, Canada
4. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

You can get an Orange SIM card in the plaza next to El Dorado ( going towards airport ) . It is a barber shop in front and a money exchange / internet cafe and cell outlet in the back . you should be able to get one for $10 to $15 .

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Just a quick question - aside from the sim card, How much does it cost to purchase minutes for the phone? Are the long distance rates good? I'll b in PC next month so I wanted to get an idea on how much I'll need to spend for this.

Any info would b great.

Thanks!

Brantford, Canada
6. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

mk200 , you get maybe ten mins with the SIM card , then you can buy cards for $10 up to $50 i think , i think it is about 10 cents for local calls a min and only about 20 cents a min to call North America . Actually it is a very good deal , way better than the rogers/bell cartel that we are stuck here in Canada with !

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
7. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Hi guys, if some body has a sim card for Punta Cana In need it to refill it i am going there in Dec i can do it

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
8. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Hi Guys, do you know any website that i can top up up my Sim card ? i tried some of them but if the sim card is not there they can not do that

Near Ottawa
9. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Sim cards and phones are cheap,alot cheaper than using your own ac ount or the hotel phones. There are orange and claro stores everywhere.

Winnipeg, Canada
10. Re: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic

Hiya Dave, where've you been? Was wondering where you were?

When's your next trip down?

Cheers, Debbie

Reply to: Cell phone and SIM card use in Dominican Republic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted