We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Temple, Texas
reviews: 2
Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

What is the difference? I've been to Mexico often, and usually do okay with the language having grown up in South Texas. But a lot of people are telling me the Spanish in the Dominican is really different and I'm just wondering, how??

Florida
reviews: 11
1. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

Mexican speaks slower, dominican's speaks very fast .. Even if you are fluent in d language you find yourself wondering what they just ask.. And I'm Puerto Rican

Morristown, New...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

I'm not a Spanish speaker (my vocabulary is growing, but still limited), but I can definitely detect the differences in accents. I think, for the most part, the Spanish you know will work fine. Mexican Spanish, to me, has that real twangy kind of tone. Dominican Spanish is more of an "open" tone (hard to explain), but I have noticed Dominicans tend to drop the last letter of words... especially the letter "S". So, gracias sounds like gracia....

My niece, who is fluent in Spanish (Spain Spanish) had no problems being understood or understanding the Dominicans. I'm sure you won't either.

Florida
3. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

Mexican speaks slower, dominican's speaks very fast .. Even if you are fluent in d language you find yourself wondering what they just ask.. And I'm Puerto Rican

Florida
4. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
5. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

There are some different idioms and speed but you won't have trouble communicating.

Greensburg...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

I think you're right about the S. I would say "Buenos dias" and the response I got consistently was "Bueno dia." I started to say it that way after a few days.

murillo
reviews: 3
7. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

After a couple of Mamawanna's and some Brugal Anexio, su no muy importante

Punta Cana...
8. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

there are slangs in the languages of all countries depending from which arae of a specific country someone comes from.

but if you speak Spanish You will understand the average Mexican the same as the average Dominican and the average Spaniard.

Happy Travels

Mike

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 9
9. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

The difference is mostly the slangs. Where I live there is more of a Mexican population as opposed to Dominican. The difference I notice when I am conversing with someone from Mexico is the slang words, other than that they seem to understand my "Dominican" spanish and I understand their "Mexican" spanish.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 43
10. Re: Mexico Spanish vs. Dominican Spanish

It is mostly an accent unique to the Caribbean Spanish speaking countries. (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico)

Much more use of slangs and idioms unique to the Dominican Republic and the Spanish speaking Caribbean.

Caribbean Spanish is much faster, flows with a unique rhythm, and the words tend to be more mashed together, dropping the pronunciation of consonants at the end of words that would otherwise be pronounced in other Spanish speaking areas of the world.

Just as people from the northern U.S. would pronounce Park the Car as "Pahk the Cah" Dominicans would say "Vamo a ciudá" for "vamos a la ciudad". Think of it that way. Don't be discouraged even if you understand Spanish well if at first you have a difficult time understanding it at first. Even native Spanish speakers from other parts of the world find themselves thrown a little off balance when they encounter Dominican Spanish. I visited once with a Colombian friend and he often had difficulty understanding people without them having to repeat themselves. He found their accent and pronunciation hilarious.

Edited: 4:40 pm, May 27, 2011