We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherrill
reviews: 1
Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

I have reead that tips are appreciated or even expected at Excellence Punta Cana.

How much do you recommed tipping

Room maids

bar tenders

matre die

table waiters

First time visitors

Thanks

Bill

Morristown, New...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

Tipping is always voluntary and the amount depends on what you feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Sherrill
reviews: 1
2. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

Yes I understand

I guess I was looking for some input for this resort

In the US I usually tip a waiter 20% for good service

I tip the matre die nothing

Any guidance would be appreciated

Val Caron
reviews: 3
3. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

we have been there three times now and never have any of them ever expected anything. we always tip at least one american dollar to the waiters around the pool but not for each drink. if a waiter has been exceptional we may give a little extra. the maids were given two dollars each morning and don;t forget the minibar refresher, they should get somthing when they restock your fridge. we left a five-to ten dollar tip after our suppers in the al la carte and at the end of our trip we tipped the hostess at the breakfast buffet (five dollars)

Morristown, New...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

Well, since we really can't break down how much each meal costs, out of how much we've paid for our AI vacation, it's hard to come up with a %.

Typically, daily, I'll leave $5 for the daytime housekeeping, $2-3 for the evening turn-down housekeeping, $2 in the fridge for the person that replenishes my minibar (that is, if you use the contents of the minibar).

For the specialty a la cartes, I'll leave $5 per person.

For the buffets, it's a little harder. I don't like leaving money on the table. I'd rather hand it to the server... but they're always running around, and it's hard to find them, sometimes, after your meal. Buffets are sorta grab & go. If I do see them, at the end of the meal, then $2-3. If not, nothing.

Waitress service on the beach is $1-5 per round, depending on how many drinks. If I'm sitting at a bar for a while, usually $2-5, again, depending on how many drinks, how many people, etc.

So, like around $20 a day, give or take?

But again, that's me and what I'm comfortable with. Some people will tip more, and some won't tip at all. There is no right or wrong.

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 19
5. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

As far as EPC is concerned, tips are not expected but they are appreciated. Don't think your service will be less than splendid because you fail to tip and, likewise, you may not see better service if you tip.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 17
6. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

The staff at Excellence are awesome and never expect to receive a tip. We bring $250 in 1's for our 2 week visit and we always make sure that we have passed on each of those dollars by the end of our stay. ;)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
7. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

By $ I assume that you all referring to american $ not Dominican peso dollars? Do any of you know if people tip in British pounds, or are dollars best for us to take?

Edited: 3:09 pm, April 04, 2011
Lima, Oh
reviews: 9
8. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

The dollar seems to be the currency of choice. I like to tip the guys who are always working hard to keep the grounds looking great. They work as hard as anyone and are overlooked by most.

Mike

nj
9. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

what is al lacartes you mentioned tipping?

Chester, United...
reviews: 53
10. Re: Tips at Excellence Punta Cana

A la cartes are restaurants where you order off a menu and you are served rather than a buffet where you help yourself