We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Week in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Holy Week in Punta Cana

Our family was planning a nice relaxing trip to Punta Cana but just found it it was Holy Week in the Dom Rep. No water sports heard it was very crowded.

Has anyone been during Holy week and could you give any advice on this being a week to go or not?

Beth

Nova Scotia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Holy Week in Punta Cana

Water sports are NOT cancelled during Semana Santa!

Motorized water sports and some excursions involving motorized water sports are cancelled for a few days (Usually Wednesday - Sunday) of Semana Santa. Since these are usually not included in the resort offerings often times you don't even know it is Semana Santa. The most inconvenient thing I have ever encountered was at one resort where the Animation Team was given the day off on Good Friday - I can live without them for a day - LOL.

It can be a bit crowded as this is a prime season for tourists AND many resorts sell day passes for local Dominicans. This will mainly be noticed on the Thursday - Sunday of Semana Santa.

It' still a great place to be compared to the cold at home - IMHO.

Canada
2. Re: Holy Week in Punta Cana

What are the exact dates for Semana Santa?

New York
3. Re: Holy Week in Punta Cana

We were there last year (2005) during Holy Week. We stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana. Motorized water sports were cancelled from sundown Thursday to Monday morning. Some excursions did not run during this time either. It was a minor inconvience to us as we had enough days on either side to do what we wanted. I don't know if it was more crowded than at other times as this is the only time we have been there. We never waited in line for anything though. We did have to get up and "reserve" chairs early but I can handle that!

Maine
4. Re: Holy Week in Punta Cana

Correct me if I am wrong but are the resorts very very crowded during the Holy Week ?

We would like to do at least on safari trip Do they still run those and are they crowdwd ?

The following week is school vacation here in the USA and do you think it will be more crowded ?

Thank you for all your info

beth

Saint John, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Holy Week in Punta Cana

We travel to the Dominican every April for two weeks during the Holy Week. The motorized water sports are closed from Thursday to Monday Morning. From what I have seen other excursions still take place except sometimes on Friday. Some of the resorts that we have stayed at were a little crowded by the local people who came in for a day or for the weekend. Although we did not mind as it was nice to see and meet some of the Dominican People. Since we had been there many times, I bring Easter Chocolates for their children. We did not find this at the Grand Palladium though. We found that the following week when the US had their Easter break was much more crowded with a lot of children. We are returning again this year to the Palladium Palace from April 10 to 24 and will be there for Holy Week again. We look forward to it. We usually do an excursion or two each week and will enjoy relaxing for the weekend anyway.